BIOS supervisor password reset

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by acerqs, Jul 15, 2012.

1. acerqs

acerqs

Hi All,

I have searched online and in this forum but have not yet found an exact answer to my question, which is, how can I get into BIOS if I have forgotten my BIOS supervisor password? I've seen a post about "BIOS Recovery" but don't know whether that is applicable. And, no, I don't want to send my computer back to Acer and pay them over a $100 to do this :)

Thanks for any and all help!

acerqs, Jul 15, 2012
  2. acerqs

Jaroc

Jaroc, Jul 16, 2012
  3. acerqs

acerqs

Hi Jaroc,

Thank you very much! However, as I am a newcomer to these procedures, please allow me to ask further, when you say "short the pads CLRP1", do you mean there is a marking on them that says "CLRP1" ? And what do the "pads" look like? Also, what is the JDIMM2 and where is it supposed to be? I don't see any such indication in the photos at the link you provided - and by the way, that link is extremely helpful! thanks!!

acerqs, Jul 16, 2012
  4. acerqs

acerqs

Hi again,

Just checking, have you heard that this procedure will work specifically for the Aspire One? I read online that someone said it would probably not work because the BIOS password is stored in an EEPROM -- whatever that is -- and not in the CMOS itself. Will the procedure you mentioned also clear the EEPROM ?

acerqs, Jul 16, 2012
  5. acerqs

acerqs

Hi Jaroc,

Sorry, I should have googled before asking you. I see now that by JDIMM2 you meant the RAM module and that there will be two metal leads labeled CLRP1. But I still have the question above about CMOS vs. EEPROM and whether short-circuiting the CMOS will actually clear the BIOS password specifically for the A0722. Thanks again for all your help!!

acerqs, Jul 16, 2012
  6. acerqs

Jaroc

Hi acerqs, sorry to not be so helpful, I was looking at the schematic and I didn't actually try this. So I will attend to this problem with my Acer and let you know soon what will be the right way to do it.

Jaroc, Jul 16, 2012
  7. acerqs

acerqs

Jaroc,

Your directions were brilliant! I simply placed the flat head of a screwdriver over the two pads you mentioned (maybe for 20 seconds, can't remember for sure), and voila! The Bios supervisor password was lost and I could get into BIOS. Thanks so much for your help!

acerqs, Jul 18, 2012
Ask a Question