BIOS password problems

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by luzzel, Nov 5, 2008.

1. luzzel

luzzel

Hi all
    So recently I added a BIOS password to my new AAO and now when I try to reenter BIOS its rejecting my password. Now I know you're probably thinking I'm just entering the wrong password but hear me out. My password is one I use often, every day, it contains letters number and punctuation, and I'm sure I entered it correct when setting it, plus you have to confirm it.

The thing that makes me think something is awry is that when entering the final (9th) character it doesn't wait for me to hit enter, it just rejects it, as if there is a character limit that it didn't tell me about when setting my password

I've successfully flashed the BIOS but this doesn't do anything for my predicament

Does anyone know of a back door password into this BIOS? or any other way of retrieving or resetting the password, Ive looked at a couple of tools but they didn't seem too promising

Any help what-so-ever would be greatly appreciated
    Chris

luzzel, Nov 5, 2008
  2. luzzel

nmesisca

Search is your friend. Plenty of people have had this already.
    Capital letter passwords are also your friend.

nmesisca, Nov 5, 2008
  3. luzzel

luzzel

I've tried the capital letter trick, didn't work, as it still auto-rejects on the 9th character. I've also flashed the BIOS twice, once to 3304 and then to 3305, both manually by the boot usb, and between those attempts tried the Fn+esc flash also, but i couldn't get that working, it just stayed there with the green light blinking for extended periods (i had everything in the root of a bootable usb and had tried a number of the suggested file renames too)

As a first poster, I can understand you telling me to search, and i have, granted I may have missed something, but so far as i can see the only other option is to open the case and short the HW gap, but being that mine is only 3 weeks old and still under warranty I am hesitant to void so soon. Are there any other options? and if not, will an acer service center do the shorting for me?

Thanks again
    Chris

luzzel, Nov 5, 2008
  4. luzzel

xzb6np

I could not get into mine after entering a password in the bios as well. I freaked out because it was only 1 hr after I got it. It turns out that it upper cases the password in the bios. So out of desperation I turned on the caps lock and tried my password and it took it!
    So what does this mean to you. Every letter you entered that you thought were lowercase are really upper case. But what happens to the punctuations. It may be that they became lower case and that you really need to enter numbers in place of them. You could try that. You might also want to try setting the caps lock on and entering your password as normal including pressing the shift key when entering the punctuation. This may cause it to enter exactly like you have it in the bios.

I have gotten in the habit if pressing caps lock as soon as it powers on. One interesting thing I have noticed is that it turns the caps lock off after I enter the password and press enter.

Hope this helps.

xzb6np, Nov 6, 2008
  5. luzzel

luzzel

Thanks,
    You've both been helpful but my problem is not yet solved trying all number of combinations of shift and no shift letter number punctuation i have in my password. i believe the problem is centered around the number of characters in my password (being 9) as when i hit the ninth character it auto-rejects the password, not waiting for me th hit enter, so ive tried dropping the first, dropping the last and dropping the second last but none of these have helped either. Acer wants to charge me AU$129 to courier it to them to erase the pw, when its a problem of their making,

Does anyone have a diagram, picture or photo of the HW gap and experience based advice on how to go about bridging these?

luzzel, Nov 6, 2008
  6. luzzel

kapinouwi

the bios passwrd is limited to 8 caracters!

kapinouwi, Nov 6, 2008
  7. luzzel

luzzel

it would have been awesome if it had rejected my 9 character password when i entered it. Any ideas on how it might have modified it when i entered 9 characters, so you may give examples my password (is) was s3r3n1'ty and that is the case it was entered in, altho with the auto making it caps people have reported god knows what it might be

(still looking for a photo or other image of the HW Gap from anyone who has actually has first hand knowledge)

Again thanks for everyone's continued help
    Chris

luzzel, Nov 6, 2008
  8. luzzel

luzzel

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

looking again for this HW GAP i decided to Google it, i came up wit the aspire one service manual, and in the BIOS password section it mentions the format the password can take, it says 8 alpha-numeric characters, that doesn't include my punctuation, so i thought, hey why not, so i entered s3r3n1ty and bingo, im in

this is such a relief
    thanks again for all your continued help, this saved me $130 or cracking the case myself

for anoyone interested the service manual can be located at http://one.iholle.com/aspireone/SG_Aspi ... hnical.pdf
    hope it saves someone else all the grief too

Cheers
    Chris

luzzel, Nov 6, 2008
  9. luzzel

Ytsejammer

Hi there.
    Well, I got the same problem like many other aspire one users except in my case I used only digits to create password, so now I've no idea how to enter it - it's rejected no matter I enter the right password or the same with caps on or pressing shift. Fortunately, I could boot the laptop after reflashing bios with a usb drive, but I still cannot access the bios settings...
    Any ideas?

Ytsejammer, Dec 28, 2008
  10. luzzel

jaytcsd

I use a $ in my password, thanks for the heads up, I got mine unlocked after only 10 minutes of forum searching and 13 minutes of productive cussing...

jaytcsd, Jan 3, 2009
  11. luzzel

chrismerriman63

thanks guys.. i entered a nine letter password and got frozen out. without these posts i would be still pulling my hair out. my bios screen says password is limited to 8 WORDS! (not that i noticed it)

chrismerriman63, Mar 3, 2009
  12. luzzel

willbewill

Same has happened here - I entered a 10 letter password. So I have to use capitals? Does it save forst or last 8 letters?

willbewill, Mar 11, 2009
Ask a Question