BIOS fault codes?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by IanE, Apr 22, 2009.

1. IanE

IanE

I hope this isn't covering old ground - have searched the forum but not found quite the same issue.

I'm working on an AAO for someone and it had the Network Manager not opening issue. It was new to them so they said it was OK to run the recovery routine and put it back to factory settings.

Created the recovery USB stick, booted from it and started the recovery on the AAO. It was going to take 20 mins. Came back a few minutes later and it's powered off. Won't start up but just gives a flashing power light when you hit the power button - 4 fast, 4 slow flashes.

Can't find an online reference to BIOS fault codes for this machine. Anyone got any bright ideas?

Tried flashing the BIOS using the BIOS recovery and 3309 but it won't start that - you press Fn-Esc and then the power button but that doesn't work. No action from it at all. No fan, no other LEDs.

Haven't tried clearing the CMOS yet but it's nearly midnight and I need to stop working!

If anyone has any bright ideas it would make my day when I come back to it in the morning...

Cheers

IanE

IanE, Apr 22, 2009
  2. IanE

H4kon

You, have to send it in to Acer, maybe they can fix it with a crisis disk usb stick (reset the bios or something) or they change the mainboard. :)

H4kon, Apr 25, 2009
  3. IanE

rikm1

I had this problem just last night.
    Yet after following the instructions below i am able to post this reply on my aspire one. :mrgreen:

1st Download the latest firmware for your aspire one model from the acer support site. then unzip.
    You will also need to create a bootable usb stick. Suggest pendrive linux.com for guidance.

Then follow these instuctions below making sure you rename you bios to the name mentioned not a capital i is used not a 1.

Follow every step carefully!

First format an USB stick with FAT.

Download the latest BIOS, and put both FLASHIT.EXE and the BIOS file in the root directory of the stick. Rename the BIOS file to ZG5IA32.FD, that's important. Do not remove the USB stick.

Turn the AA1 off, make sure both battery and AC adapter are connected. Press Fn+Esc, keep it pressed and press the power button to turn the AA1 on. Release Fn+Esc after a few seconds, the power button will be blinking. Press the power button once. The AA1 will now initiate the BIOS flash, do not interrupt it under any circumstances. After a while the power button will stop blinking, and the AA1 will reboot shortly after. Wait patiently.

The BIOS has been flashed and all settings reset to default.

If for some reason you made a mistake during the procedure and it doesn't reboot by itself wait 5 minutes before turning it off, just to be safe that it isn't still flashing the BIOS."

rikm1, Apr 26, 2009
  4. IanE

IanE

Thanks guys. As H4kon said, it's going back to Acer. The BIOS flash won't work as it won't respond to the power button with Fn-Esc pressed.

Acer responded quite quickly and are doing it under warranty, but the system seems pretty fragile that you can get the file corruption that started this and then the original BIIOS flash attempt failing. Ah well....

Cheers!

IanE

IanE, Apr 27, 2009
Ask a Question