BIOS error-- XP/iDeneb dual boot

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by DaStan, Jul 6, 2009.

1. DaStan

DaStan

So my AAO got left on without being plugged in and eventually ran out of power and shut off without a proper shut down. After a few hours I plugged it in and tried to boot it. The H20 splash screen went up and I noticed some text flash across the screen too quickly for me to read, (after turning off "quick boot" in the setup menu I could read it and it was just some information about my hardware) This had never happened on my Acer before. After the text flashes on the screen the computer would starting loading the windows grub but very slowly and with a high pitched beeping noise which immediately tipped me off that something was wrong. After everything loaded the beeping stopped but if I tried to select "boot windows xp" it would just move back down to "OSX86." So I went into Darwin and when I tried to boot into my windows partition through their it would load for a few seconds then go back to the windows grub again. I can boot into OS X if I use the -v flag (I don't know why that would help but it does) without any beeping. I could probably boot into OS X without it but the beeping is so very annoying and like I said, everything is taking longer to load. (The text at least tells me something is happening)

Occasionally when I go into the BIOS setup it goes really glitchy, other times it's normal. I'm pretty sure I just need to flash the BIOS because this seems similar to the some other BIOS errors I've read about not booting to Windows XP. Any thoughts, things to try before I flash the BIOS?

--DaStan

DaStan, Jul 6, 2009
  2. DaStan

DaStan

FIXED: So I just went ahead and Flashed my BIOS to USB. After doing that my problems were over except for the fact that BIOS couldn't find the HD. :roll:
    I booted into Gparted and it found my HD and then I rebooted the computer and the BIOS found it too! All in all not a bad trouble shooting session. :lol:

DaStan, Jul 6, 2009
Ask a Question