Big problems with UNR 9.10 and aa1 A150

Discussion in 'Linux' started by vananick, Nov 11, 2009.

1. vananick

vananick

Hi, i'm new here. I read this site for a long time but i haven't sign in till now. So hi again and keep up the good work.

vananick, Nov 11, 2009
  2. vananick

vananick

My problem is that i tried unr 9.10 since i'm an ubuntu fan but i ran into big problems. Fresh install with ext4 and the aa1 freezes and the cap's lock led is blinking (some times not every time, and mostly when i download something through the wireless card). The same problem with 9.04 only much fewer times. Mostly when i download something in high speed. Second lots of apliccations crushes shortly after boot. And i have to mention that i don't have any of these problems with Fedora 11. Also some time even thow i have a wireless connection to my home network i can't download anything or reach my router. Sorry if i bothered you. Thanks for any answers.

vananick, Nov 11, 2009
  3. vananick

RockDoctor

Since Fedora works for you, why not just use it? F12 is due out next week. If you're looking for a UNR-type interface, there's always gnome-shell.

RockDoctor, Nov 12, 2009
  4. vananick

libssd

While I haven't had this specific problem with Ubuntu 9.10 on an A150, I have had other problems after upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10. Apart from not suspending automatically when the lid is closed (unchanged with 9.10), I have zero problems with 9.04, which has been rock solid for me. Patience; it's not unusual for new releases to have issues. I'm sticking with 9.04 until 9.10 settles down.

libssd, Nov 12, 2009
  5. vananick

vananick

Thanks guys for the answers. The thing is i don't like fedora. There are some things in ubuntu that made me a fan. I don't look for a unr type of dektop. Now i'm using moblin 2.1 but sometimes i have the same problem only rarer. The computer freezes and the caps lock led is blinking. Anyway i didn't had these problems with 8.10. But i have the thing for the new ...

vananick, Nov 13, 2009
  6. vananick

RockDoctor

Typically what you see when you have a kernel panic. No way out other than to power off and reboot. I haven't had any problems with Ubuntu 9.10 or Fedora Rawhide giving me a kernel panic. Hope you can resolve the problem soon.

RockDoctor, Nov 13, 2009
  7. vananick

libssd

If you aren't wedded to UNR, why not install the standard desktop version? Did you upgrade to 9.10, or do a fresh install? If a fresh install, try, try again. As I said before, 9.04 has been rock solid for me on the same hardware platform you are using.

libssd, Nov 14, 2009
  8. vananick

vananick

Good morning, guys. (I'm in Hellas (Greece)). I agree that the problem is kernel panics. Everything i know is from forums like this where you help people. I've already installed the desktop version and had the same problems. But since i have them with moblin too i think maybe the problem is with the newer kernels. The weird thing is that sometimes the wireless stops respondig and if i disconect from my wireless network and reconnect everything is ok again. I don't know. I even tried fefora 12 rawhide and the live cd doesn't work. Removing sdb that's not ours and going to sleep forever, or something like this. Mandriva freezes on boot without errors, just freezes. The thing is i checked ram and it's ok, and the hard disk is double checked and it's ok. Again thanks guys.

vananick, Nov 14, 2009
  9. vananick

vananick

libssd i tried many times. All of them fresh installs. Itried 9.10 beta, rc and final release. Of course i will try again.

vananick, Nov 14, 2009
  10. vananick

libssd

Although an upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 worked fine, I tried a clean install of 9.10 to an SD memory card last night; it was a disaster, possibly related to EXT4 filesystem. Try 9.04 desktop. For the moment, I'm giving up on 9.10.

Parallel thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18536&start=10

libssd, Nov 14, 2009
  11. vananick

vananick

I had kernel panics with 9.04 too but not so often. The thing is that i have them with moblin too. Now almost every time it boots says mutter application failure. I think in 9.04 someone suggested doing all updates through ethernet and then use wireless. I can't stop thinking that everything has to do with the wireless interface. I even tried windows drivers with ndiswrapper but nothing. I won't give up.

vananick, Nov 14, 2009
  12. vananick

libssd

Wired or wireless, shouldn't make any difference; either the files arrive intact, or they don't. Aside from downloading the installation image on a wired connection, all of my updates to 9.04/9.10 have been done wirelessly.

libssd, Nov 14, 2009
  13. vananick

vananick

I totally agree with you my friend. To make the situation more weird, now the kernel panics and application crashes are more often in moblin 2.1 i'm using these days. What can i say? Hardware? i've checked. Why not in fedora 11?

vananick, Nov 15, 2009
  14. vananick

moebius

I was wondering, do these problems only happen when using the ext4 file system?

You could install the ubuntu version of your choice and then switch it to the A150 optimized 'sickboy' kernel that you can find here: http://www.aspireonekernel.com/
    you'll find instructions for installing the new kernel at that site. I installed it to a new clean install of Karmic UNR and it seemed to work OK. Admittedly I didn't do that much with it because I didn't like it as well as Kuki Linux from http://www.kuki.me. Kuki is Ubuntu based with Xfce , I have found it to be both quick and reliable.

moebius, Nov 16, 2009
  15. vananick

vananick

Thanks for the suggestion moebius. I've already downloaded the sickboy's kernel and going to try it, probably tonight. I hope this will solve my problems cause as i said i'm an ubuntu fan. Thanks again.

vananick, Nov 16, 2009
  16. vananick

vananick

Moebius it seems that the problems don't have to do with the file system. I've used both file systems with the same result. The sickboy's kernel needs ext3 or i can install it on ext4?

vananick, Nov 16, 2009
  17. vananick

vananick

Sorry i bother you guys. I just flashed my aoa150 with the latest official bios 3310. I didn't know about it until i read about it here. I was with 3114, which i thought it was the last. Anyway let's see. So far so good but only 5 min online.

vananick, Nov 16, 2009
  18. vananick

moebius

I'm just curious. I don't know much about ext4, I was just somewhat alarmed that it seemed to keep coming up in the discussion. Are you downloading to ext3 then burning to FAT16 on a USB then installing to an ext4 partition? Again, I'm just curious. I'm a recent refugee and so far I've settled down to alternating Kuki Linux 3.0 and SimplyMEPIS 8.0 with Puppy 4.31 on the side. Kuki is Ubuntuish, MEPIS is Debian, and Puppy is its own breed that runs totally in system RAM. Hope the kernel takes care of your problem.

moebius, Nov 17, 2009
  19. vananick

vananick

I hope that too moebius. The thing is that since i flashed the bios everything seems more stable. I didn't have any crashes at all. Only the occasional wireless problems. I'm thinking to return to ubuntu with the sickboy's custom kernel. I don't that it has something to do with the file system although. I will keep posting, maybe someone else benefits from all this adventure. Thanks

vananick, Nov 17, 2009
  20. vananick

vananick

One day since my return to ubuntu (9.10 unr) and things are going well. Souldn't have to do anything with the flashing of the bios but it seems we are going well. Thanks

vananick, Nov 18, 2009
Ask a Question