Best way to remove bloatware?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by dakennedy, Oct 23, 2008.

1. dakennedy

dakennedy

Just popped open my new AA1, what is the best/easiest way to remove all the bloatware.

Maybe a list of the programs I absolutely need on there.

Thanks

dakennedy, Oct 23, 2008
  2. dakennedy

goofball

xplite and add/remove programs
    doesn't hurt to run ccleaner too.

goofball, Oct 24, 2008
  3. dakennedy

memphis

PC Decapifier is designed to remove bloatware from new PC's
    pcdecrapifier.com

memphis, Oct 26, 2008
  4. dakennedy

the100thmonkey

You can also open msconfig from the Start menu (Start > Run > enter "msconfig"), google the processes listed and turn off the ones you don't need.

the100thmonkey, Oct 26, 2008
  5. dakennedy

Puru

I use tuneup utilities 2008 on my vista (lite)...works good...

Puru, Oct 27, 2008
  6. dakennedy

MR650

Not that decrapifier or other utilities aren't good, but these machines don't come with that much bloatware. It's not like the old HPs that came with Vongo ultra windows dll version.

Just use add or remove and zap everything out. As mentioned earlier, use msconfig to turn off the useless services and even parts of applications you have installed and don't need (common startup files are always good targets). My routine is:

1) Add or remove programs
    2) Add or remove windows features
    3) Update or install the necessary third party components (java, flash, etc) and tell the control panels not to bother me.
    4) Run any additional updates and windows update a few times (with restarts)
    5) Run msconfig and turn off useless startup items
    6) Test the setup by:
    a) going to secunia.com and using the online scanner to check for basic items that may be outdated or unneccessary
    b) bringing up the task manager (easy on is just right click in the task bar) and looking at what's using the CPU then googling anything I don't know about.

You'll probably want to switch out the A/V app that comes with the system for something a) free and b) good.

MR650, Oct 27, 2008
  7. dakennedy

Guest Guest

^^ Are you kidding me? It took me twenty minutes just to turn off/uninstall all the crap that was installed on my 120gb/XP machine when I first turned it on. It took SO long to boot.

OP, I would spend alot of time in Add/Remove Programs getting rid of all the crap that wouldn't come on a clean XP install. Then install CCLeaner, and trim down the startup apps. (i know msconfig does the same thing, but CCleaner is MUCH easier to use.)

Guest, Oct 28, 2008
  8. dakennedy

MR650

You never suffered the vongo hell did you? 20 minutes is not bad at all. You know how bad it was with 98 right? I agree that there is more than a default XP installation, but there is less spamware than 'most' XP machines. I haven't found anything that doesn't uninstall with add or remove so that's a huge plus. The system is essentially XP with a few added applications and short of the bootsplash and bios, nothing custom that can't be removed (unless you count the eRecovery application).

IMHO, the more you stick to the built in MS utilities, the more you are able to keep your machine funtioning well in the future. If you just run a script and never even see Add or Remove (programs or features) then you're bound to install something and end up in a world of hurt. The same goes for msconfig and the task manager. Besides, you don't need to remove everything if you aren't using it....except that the start menu gets a little unruly and I have no idea what acer was thinking with the number of system tray icons *boggles*.

It's so awesome to get a netbook bundled with winDVD5 too!

MR650, Oct 29, 2008
  9. dakennedy

Forone

I'll second or third the recommendation to run CCleaner, using its built-in uninstall feature or the MS add/remove program - in CCleaner run both the application and registry cleaners. Ordinary uninstall leaves a lot of junk files and registry entries behind. I follow that with Defraggler, a quick free HDD defragmenter, and with Auslogics free registry defragmenter. I use the same sequence after any installation of large applications as well, to remove the surprising number of useless entries that creates.

Forone, Nov 6, 2008
Ask a Question