Best way to clean a One

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Sid, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Sid

Sid

Sid, Aug 9, 2008
  2. Sid

Davidcowling

my ps3 is a fingerprint magnet, not sure how the materials compare with the AA1

still i prefer the blue, i think the white will just get grubby

Davidcowling, Aug 18, 2008
  3. Sid

gbee

Based on everyone moaning about fingerprints and having seen for myself the state it can get into at PC World, I changed my order from Blue to White (again). I like the Blue because it was different, but having to clean it all the time would drive me mad, plus seeing them side by side I think the white actually looks better now.

gbee, Aug 18, 2008
  4. Sid

Davidcowling

i think i might be leaning more towards the white as well...

ill sleep on it

5. Sid

ryback

I love the fact that my aspire is riddled with fingerprints. That way I can quickly tell who is mine and if anyone else has been using it!

ryback, Aug 18, 2008
  6. Sid

Davidcowling

you must have insanity vision if you can distinguish between yours and other people finger prints at a glance!

:lol:

7. Sid

lotus49

Try buying an iPhone 3G if you don't like fingerprints.

My iPhone is still super shiny, but only as long as I don't even look at it. I actually carry a microfibre cloth in my pocket with my iPhone all the time as just making one call on it turns it from the shiniest object I possess to something that looks like I just fished it out of a chip pan.

I do like shiny things though so my (unfilled for 6 weeks) order from play.com will remain for the blue one. It's also a jolly nice colour.

lotus49, Aug 18, 2008
  8. Sid

sk3rmo

yes, don't try using any other cloth to wipe it. Made the mistake of wiping off a smudge using a cotton cloth and it left scuff marks :eek:

sk3rmo, Aug 19, 2008
  9. Sid

Sid

Sorry you didn't see the thread earlier :(

Sid, Aug 19, 2008
  10. Sid

atarione

hopefully acer has a "museum" quality sample or two laying aboot?

for my part I'm glad I got the blue the white was a bit much... yeah it picks up fingerprints... meh... I will probably eventually bang it up a little bit (knocks wood for just a little).. I have been wiping mine down w/ a micro fiber cloth now and again.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it however.. use enjoy it... it will be with us for just a little time in the grand scheme if it takes on a bump / knick or two along the way it will just remind of us it's journey with us.

I'm not suggesting being cavalier or careless with our new toys but just suggesting that it is a mobile device I'll just be happy if it isn't a wanged up as my cell phone in a year from now :D

alright carry one smudge / knick / bump enjoy (JUST DON'T SCRATCH the gosh danged screen ).. if you break it pick up the pieces put them in the electronics recycling bin and get a new one ;)

atarione, Aug 19, 2008
  11. Sid

rednaxela

Microfiber cloth here too :D

rednaxela, Aug 19, 2008
  12. Sid

ryback

It was as you understood a joke. I wouldn't dream of cleaning my computer anymore than cleaning my screwdriver or any other tool for that matter.

ryback, Oct 14, 2008
  13. Sid

organisys

My Blue One's lid is covered in stickers...problem solved!

organisys, Oct 14, 2008
  14. Sid

Pontificator

microfiber cloth here, too. I found them at a discount store for a dollar each. brand is Allsop.

Pontificator, Oct 16, 2008
  15. Sid

240SX

I haven't used microfiber cloth before. And I also read that there are some crappy quality ones out there. Can I clean the screen with it too? What are some good brands and where can I buy them? :lol:

240SX, Nov 8, 2008
  16. Sid

alastair

Shame we can't get Invisible Shield for the One yet; with Acer selling literally millions I am surprised Zagg haven't started to manufacture them, when I asked them it was going to be very expensive and would of meant send the One to them.

I got my micro fibre cloth from Poundland, and it does a great job on everything :D

alastair, Nov 9, 2008
  17. Sid

rjm

Microfibre cloth + water. There are a few ultrafine scratches on the bezel as a result of cleaning, but nothing I'd concern myself over. I use the cloth on the screen too, actually the screen seems more scratch-resistant than the bezel. One nice thing I noticed is the fingerprint grease wipes off very easily, one of two wipes with the cloth and its done. Pat dry with a tissue.

There are a number of "protectors" for the One out there, but really, I can't see the need. The screen itself is, as I said, quite scratch resistant.

rjm, Nov 10, 2008
  18. Sid

lotus49

It's interesting you should mention the fine scratches on the bezel. Mine came with them. I'm a bit obsessive about things like that and I noticed as soon as I opened it. I use a microfibre cloth to clean my One and it has not left even tiny scratches that I can see and I have very good eyesight.

However, if you do scratch your lid, you can always buy a replacement shell such as this http://sourceits.com/need_parts for $18. It's a pity it's $15 P&P and another $15 "handling charge" if you are outside the US like I am.

lotus49, Nov 14, 2008
  19. Sid

Pontificator

Since the "glass" screen really isn't glass but treated plastic, using any sort of cleaner containing alcohol or ammonia will eventually scratch and then dull the finish.

Using a dry microfiber cloth is good but it won't get rid of the tiny water spots ahem, SALIVA spots that will eventually collect on the screen if you like to eat or VOIP/Skype while AA1ing. :D

Ammonia-free, alcohol-free LCD/Plasma screen cleaner is widely available. I just scored a little kit at Big! Lots (USA) for $4. Brand is DigiCom and it comes with a 5 oz. bottle of spray and a microfiber cloth. WORKS GREAT. The formula is supposedly non-runny so that it won't drip and seep down between the screen and the frame. Just to be on the safe side I clean the screen with the power OFF and the screen flat on a work surface. Mfr. also claims that it help to reduce static charge on the screen (which attracts dust/dirt).

Pontificator, Feb 4, 2009
Ask a Question