Best Positioning For Wifi Reception Tips?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by steveK, Nov 5, 2008.

1. steveK

steveK

I was just wondering if anyone has found any tricks which have helped them get better wifi reception in regards to how they hold or place their Ones? For example,does it help to hold/place it at a specific angle? Is it not a good idea to place it on a bed? That is what I am doing now,and sometimes it works ,and other times it doesnt. I am not too close to the router since its a large house and Im in the basement .

steveK, Nov 5, 2008
  2. steveK

Duncan_Rowland

Generally the closer your One is to the access point (AP), the better (straight line distance),
    and the fewer things directly inbetween your One and the AP the better
    -Don't forget to include yourself in that, since your body absorbs wifi energy too.
    p.s. Beds are sometimes metal framed, and usually full of metal springs...
    both of which could block signals, but if you're in the basement I guess the AP is above you.

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 5, 2008
  3. steveK

clc4912

It is not so much the position of the One as it is the location of the AP. The radius signal strength is limited. The best place for the AP in the house would be a centralized location within the center of the house to optimize reception throughout the house.

If this is difficult, you could always look into a range expander to increase the coverage area. Linksys has a model that does not require any wiring and simply amplifies the signal it receives and rebroadcasts the signal. I have used this and it works quite well. Just a thought. You can see the specifications at the link below.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellit ... torWrapper

Hope this helps.

clc4912, Nov 5, 2008
  4. steveK

N6546R

If you're asking whether or not you should sleep with your Acer, that's really between you and your laptop...

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Nov 5, 2008
Ask a Question