Best linux OS for battery life

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fizikz, Dec 22, 2008.

1. fizikz

fizikz

My priorities for the OS on my AAO are: battery life, fast booting, and usability, in that order. I find that any linux OS will be sufficiently usable, even if some are more pleasant than others. As such I think a mainstream linux install would be less cumbersome than linpus linux with it's more restrictive modifications. However, with a 3 cell battery, and for a device whose main purpose is portability, I think maximizing battery life is the most crucial point. So my question is, are there any linux OSes that meet or exceed linpus linux in battery life?

fizikz, Dec 22, 2008
  2. fizikz

Elllipsis

I think Linpus would probably best fit your priorities...it is difficult to exceed Linpus's battery life or boot time by any really valuable amount..

Elllipsis, Dec 23, 2008
  3. fizikz

Tybor

No, the original AAO linpus is the best choice.

To optimize you experience you should do:
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4310

To optimize battery performance:
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3760

gr33tz,
    Tybor

Tybor, Dec 23, 2008
  4. fizikz

fizikz

Thanks for those links. With those customizations, I'm much happier with linpus. I've followed the instructions in those links, plus several of macles' useful posts at http://macles.blogspot.com/. There are always a few more things to fine-tune before it's perfect, and here are some of them:

-In Kpowersave, the status of the battery is always "warning". I'm not sure why. When I'm running on battery, the battery icon is flashing orange the whole time, even at maximum charge. I've noticed that the battery is now only charging to 87% after about 5 months, and I noticed the decreased autonomy the last time I needed to use the battery. Hardinfo reports the capacity as 1911mAh out of 2200mAh. I did a full discharge/recharge but that didn't change anything (maybe even lowered it a bit).

-Are there any further powersaving optimizations to be done? I was running powertop and noticed it gave several suggestions, but are they "safe" for this acer customized linpus?

-In firefox, I've set my preference so that when it launches, it opens the last tabs that were open. However after restarting the system, it "forgets" and just opens a blank page. Is there a way to restore the session from last time even after a reboot?

-Is there an advantage to upgrading to the latest BIOS? I'm running the original BIOS v3109.

-I know how to start compiz-fusion, but how can I switch it off manually once it's been started? I would only want to "play" with compiz on occasion, but in general I prefer to be without it if it will result in better battery life.

fizikz, Dec 25, 2008
Ask a Question