Best Firefox extensions for the AA1

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ob5idian, Sep 7, 2008.

1. ob5idian

ob5idian

As a long-time Firefox user and fan, I was infinitely pleased with its inclusion in the AA1's OS (granted, there weren't many other options, but still). However, as any Firefox user knows, the true strength of the browser is not in its basic form, but in its extendability. Therefore, I've written this brief list of things which I believe better tailor the Firefox browser to the AA1's smaller form factor.

1. Upgrade Firefox to version 3. Search the forums if you need instructions. This will allow you to use the most recent extensions, as well as allow the AA1's browser to automatically update (Acer shut off this feature in its custom Firefox 2 build)

2. Reset the backspace button to "back" (see how here: http://lifehacker.com/software/firefox-tip/set-backspaces-firefox-behavior-269945.php). I'd reason that most AA1 users are having their first Linux experience, and this will set FF's backspace key to its Windows default.

3. Install the following extensions:
    -Compact Menu: this extension allows you to add a small button to Firefox which replicates the main menu ("File", "Edit", "View", etc.) This allows you to replace the entire menu bar with a single button, which I usually place at the far right in place of the throbber. Saves you valuable vertical screen real estate.
    -Download Statusbar: rather than showing your active downloads in a window of their own, this displays them in a bar at the bottom of your browser. Saves you from alt-tabbing constantly whilst downloading things, and saves you taskbar room.
    -Adblock Plus: probably one of the most popular FF extensions, Adblock removes most ads (including flash ones) from webpages. This not only strips the aggravation of overly-flashy ads from most websites, but also returns screen real estate to the actual content of the site.
    -Google Preview: the AA1 has less RAM than most desktops, which means if you have a lust for tabbed browsing, you may have to cut down your number of active tabs. This extension will allow you to see the content of sites in a google search without opening them, letting you power search more efficiently.
    -Fasterfox: basically a GUI over a group of "about:config" hacks, this can speed up your AA1's browsing performance. Be careful with bumping it up to max, though; it can cause increased strain on servers.
    -Fission: if you're like me, you like using Firefox on the AA1 in fullscreen mode (via the f11 key). This extension combines the address and statusbars, letting you see page load progress without the statusbar taking up room.
    -No Squint: this causes Firefox to remember your text zoom levels for each website, allowing you to adjust text size to where you like it and never touch it again.

4. Install the Strata theme. This theme is the Windows default for Firefox 3, but as a matter of practicality it's nice for the smaller screen since it has a larger back button than usual.

5. Browse away.

Feel free to reply with any of your suggestions as to how to customize FF to better fit the AA1 experience.

ob5idian, Sep 7, 2008
  2. ob5idian

Jack Vermicelli

I'd recommend using the Classic Compact theme, as it's the most minimalist I've seen, and putting navigation buttons, url field, and search bar on the same line, allowing you to toggle off the navigation and bookmarks toolbars. The "tiny menu" and "stop-or-reload" add-ons help condense things. My only gripe is that the classic compact theme leaves significant padding above and below the objects in my single line of firefox UI, unlike on my desktop WinXP installation.

Jack Vermicelli, Sep 26, 2008
  3. ob5idian

Yosser_UK

NoScript is the first thing I always install.

Yosser_UK, Sep 26, 2008
Ask a Question