Best Battery to buy? (I want TWO)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by torpor, Nov 27, 2008.

1. torpor

torpor

Hey there AAO'ers,

Can anyone recommend me which battery to buy for my AAO? I'd really like to get *the best* battery I can find right now - in fact, two of them - in preparation for a little off-the-grid time in the coming months .. so can anyone say what to get?

torpor, Nov 27, 2008
  2. torpor

JohnP

I don't know if it's the best battery or not but I just got a 9 Cell 6600 mHa from a seller on eBay. My AAO is the A150 with a 120 Gig drive running XP. I just finished a little testing. I plugged in the DVD burner, left the back light at full as well as left the WI-Fi card on. Ran a Divx from a SD card, did a few things on the internet then played a DVD. Had to plug in the adapter to get the last 5 minutes of the movie. In all, just over four hours.
    After recharging, I pulled the DVD slim drive, turned down the backlight, turned off the Wi-Fi and ran a movie from the hard drive and two from a SD card. Went about 5 hours and 20 minutes that time.
    If I had been doing other less intensive work, I'm sure I could have hit the six hour mark. If your interested, the dealer is HAObattery. Mine cost $89 shipped from Hong Kong. I went for this one as it's the style that is a foot that elevates the rear of the AAO, I know some of the users consider it ugly, it doesn't bother me. Sony did a similar deal on their one 505 series and it worked good for me then. Also it is blue! matches the A150 good enough for me! :) :lol: JohnP

JohnP, Nov 28, 2008
  3. torpor

janss

Well... It depends much on what you want from the battery.

The normal 3-cell is small and light, but will last only around 2 hours on normal surfing etc light use with wifi.
    The Acer original 6-cell that I recently got gives me around 5 - 5 ½ hours of battery life on same use. It adds some extra weight and comes out from the rear a bit, but I personally think it's very reasonable in size.
    The 3rd party 6-cells that I've seen are 4400 mAh batteries versus the 5600 mAh on the Acer original, so their run time is shorter.
    The 9-cell extended batteries gice around 6-7 hours of use from what I've read, but it's about three times the size of the original 3-cell, so it's quite big...
    And the latest 7800 mAh extended battery hasn't really been tested by anyone yet, but I'd guess it will last for 7 - 8 hours maybe, and judging from the pictures it's about the same size as the first 6600 (?) mAh 9-cell.

For me, the perfect choise was the Acer 6-cell that is relatively small and gives a great run time; I only have to take my adapter with me to school on long and computer-intensive days. On normal days I can use it on battery the whole day. For a back-up for longer trips I still have the original 3-cell also.

janss, Nov 28, 2008
  4. torpor

user101

user101, Nov 28, 2008
  5. torpor

Andde

i bought acer original 5200 mah 6-cell battery and im really pleased with it.
    battery life is bout 5hrs on light use and its not buttugly as the 9-cell..

so id suggest buying 6-cell with at least 5200mah :)

Andde, Nov 29, 2008
  6. torpor

wcs

From what I've seen, seems the best compromise between size and battery life are the 6-cell ones (4,400 or 5,200).
    If you want two of them (for the same aspire one, I suppose), you might as well go for the 6,600 or this 7,800.

(anyone happens to know where to buy the acer 5,200 in the uk?)

wcs, Nov 29, 2008
  7. torpor

rory

I would say one huge one and one small one. Thats what I have, and they each have their uses. For travelling home from uni watching films on the journey, i use my 9 cell 2200mah.
    But my 3 cell still has its uses... its actualy really noticably lighter than the 9 cell, so i use it if I only have a 1 hour lecture, or am making a quick trip to the library or something.
    Plus, my 9 cell has never actually run out from usage, only did last ngiht when I left it installing os x overnight not plugged in.
    Rory

rory, Nov 29, 2008
Ask a Question