Best Applications for the AAO (linux or windows (or mac?))

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by guycross, Jan 25, 2009.

1. guycross

guycross

I thought I would write a post/article about the most useful applications for the AAO.
    I would really appreciate some suggestions from you guys about which aplications you couldn't live without on your AAO.

Things that are free to download would be cool too...

Guy

guycross, Jan 25, 2009
  2. guycross

GvidoR

For Windows:

Google Chrome (Web Browser) - FREE
    VLC Media Player (Music & Video Player) - FREE
    7-zip (Archive) - FREE
    Avira AntiVir (Anti-Virus) - FREE
    NetSetMan (IP, Subnet Mask, gateway, etc. changer) - FREE
    OpenOffice.org (Office Suite) - FREE
    Photo Resize Magic (Photo Resizer) - FREE
    Skype (Free PC to PC calls, IM messenger) - FREE
    RocketDock (Mac OS X like dock) - FREE

For Linux:

Mozilla Firefox (Web Browser) - FREE
    VLC Media Player (Music & Video Player) - FREE
    Skype (Free PC to PC calls, IM messenger) - FREE

Hmmm.. can't think of anything else at the moment but.. maybe later!

GvidoR, Jan 25, 2009
  3. guycross

guycross

Thanks.

Thats a great list...

I am having problems keeping all my applications running at the same time - with only 512 and no swapfile... I am gonna upgrade my RAM this week though!!!

guycross, Jan 25, 2009
  4. guycross

jackluo923

Windows:
    eboostr
    MIcrosoft Word 2007
    Microsoft Excel 2007
    Microsoft Powerpoint 2007
    Microsoft Onenote 2007
    Microsoft Publisher 2007
    Microsoft Outlook 2007
    Adobe Acrobat Professional CS3
    Adobe Photoshop CS3
    Adobe Premiere Pro CS3
    Microsoft visual stuio suite
    Internet Explorer 7 (firefox and chrome are too slow compared to IE on my AAO and I like the IE7 design better)
    AA1FanControl
    Foobar 2000
    DIVX player
    Winrar
    Ultrasurf, gpass
    Counterstrike 1.6
    CoreAVC codec
    Modded UXtheme file

All of the above programs can be had for free if you know where to get it.
    AAO never lags on these programs. Eboostr program gave the AAO 3-5X "speed" increase when running 5-10 applications at the same time.

Antivirus is not needed because norton corporate on my desktop machine will scan the AAO through the network. Antivirus is a waste of CPU resource on AAO.

jackluo923, Jan 25, 2009
  5. guycross

GvidoR

I forgot to add:

Windows - Foxit Reader (PDF Reader) - FREE
    Linux -ePDF (PDF Reader) - FREE

eboostr sounds interesting, I might as well give it a go. :D

GvidoR, Jan 25, 2009
  6. guycross

jackluo923

BTW.. if you're going to use eboostr, you should have a fast 2GB+ SD/SDHC card.

Clear your prefetch data beforehand, then build up your catch manually again. Start and Close your most used application a couple times and let windows build its cache. Then build cache file on the SD card using eboostr.

By then, you will notice 3-5X "speed" boost. "speed" as in perceived speed because the actually computer's speed doesn't increase.

I've tested it out because internet explorer starts in about 5 seconds and after using eboostr, it starts instantly (as in clicking the icon, and webpages pop in in less than a second). Outlook 2007 used to start in about 5 seconds as well and my 2GB PST file finish loading in about 5 additional seconds. After using eboostr, everything now starts instantly and the PST file loads in 1 second after outlook has started. The most noticible improvement is that i have about 30gigs of music collection. Their thumbs now show up instantly as opposed to waiting 1-5 minutes to load every album art in explorer.

Battery life increased a bit as well because my HDD in AAO is almost always spined down.

jackluo923, Jan 25, 2009
  7. guycross

GvidoR

Thanks for the info jackluo923!
    Yes, I do have a 2GB SD card but I don't know if it is fast or slow.
    I'll give it a go anyway as I mostly use Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and VLC Media Player.
    OK I'll post my results later.

GvidoR, Jan 25, 2009
  8. guycross

steven.chien

Linux:

Firefox
    Picasa
    DosBox
    Real Player
    :)

steven.chien, Jan 26, 2009
  9. guycross

guycross

wow - so many...

keep them coming!

Guy

guycross, Jan 26, 2009
  10. guycross

Dave in Eugene

For Windoze versions the first thing to do is get rid of the trialware M$ Office & McAfee packages. As to finding them free as stated upthread that's going to be crackz & warez though there are some products you can get free by clicking through legitimate advertising partnership sites.

For me I prefer to go legit with different open source & free titles, and leave the crackware & adware to the deserving. OpenOffice.org is great and AVG or Avast, though not open source, are perhaps the best free anti virus products (and you must have anti virus on Windoze first and foremost).

I really like portable apps - programs that don't install in the traditional way and attach themselves via the registry, but rather are installed or simply copied to a hard drive or USB stick and will run on any computer. Those applications are generally coded fairly lean and well suited to a netbook with limited resources. Portableapps.com is a good place to start and has a nice package of open source titles, and elsewhere some of the proprietatry shareware and freeware owners are offering portable versions as well.

Dave in Eugene, Jan 26, 2009
  11. guycross

jackluo923

That's not true in some cases. Having an antivirus program on the AAO slows it down to a crawl. There are means to prevent viruses without installing antiviruses on the AAO.

jackluo923, Jan 26, 2009
  12. guycross

Dave in Eugene

In some cases perhaps you don't need AV. But I think most are liable to be accessing diverse content over a variety of networks (the intended use of a netbook, after all), and to not run AV on board and in more or less permanent residence would be asking for trouble. A good AV product sure isn't likely to be our smallest resource consumer but OTOH it isn't either likely to slow us to a crawl.

But that is all FTMP matter of opinion. In mine, we each have the responsibility, while retrieving and disseminating our respective portions of the Sum of Human Knowledge, to do so as safely as practical.

Dave in Eugene, Jan 26, 2009
  13. guycross

GvidoR

I'm dual booting Windows 7 and Windows XP and I don't use anti-virus on Windows 7, I simply go to trusted sites. :D

GvidoR, Jan 26, 2009
  14. guycross

Forone

It's cruising for bruising to run without an AV. Even a trusted friend or business correspondent can unwittingly send an infected email, not to mention that wondering if any browser link is "safe" or not for an unprotected system spoils half the fun of the internet.

Avira is the best free choice for being both light on resources and effectiveness. It won't slow your system. (The advert screen can easily be disabled - search the forum for directions.) Also, the best system speed up is a clean up of useless files and useless registry entries, both are in CCleaner, which is free. Defrag every week or two is also a help: CCleaner makes a better than MS free app called Defraggler, and there are others.

Beyond that you get into system tweaks, which is an inexhaustible topic.

Forone, Jan 26, 2009
  15. guycross

guycross

great suggestions, and on the copy-cat threads on the other boards... thanks

anymore?

guycross, Jan 30, 2009
  16. guycross

tessel8

I tried to keep my install fairly light on the aspire1. One of the main components to it was a "pen suite".. .particularly the lupo pensuite. It has a nice collection of freeware apps (saves you from having to hunt all over for them), they are packaged so you don't install a bunch of stuff all over your system, and are lightweight and not resource intensive.

tessel8, Jan 31, 2009
Ask a Question