Be gentle please, sensitive newbie

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rogertb, Sep 12, 2008.

1. rogertb

rogertb

Hi chaps, I bought the excellent AA1 yesterday and am really impressed, I got the linux version ('cause I'm cheap and a Mac man) I will be needing some help and having spent a few hours reading on this forum, understand that there's no substantial 'Manual' but I don't want to be troubling you guys all the time, should I try and learn a little about Linux, I really only want to use this as a portable machine to surf, get emails download photos to - pretty simple requirements but it's fun trying more.

Like I'd like to "push" images from my 'phone to it but I don't know how to get bluetooth to work (though I plugged in an adapter for a labtec wireless mouse and that's working fine).

Thumbnails of images ... can I make them bigger (getting old and the eyes aren't what they were) ?

What about a regular desktop layout ? I managed to turn on 'advanced' and found "Gnome" and KDE something, are they alternative d/top configurations and do I tick one of their boxes and untick the XFCE one and 'apply'.

How to get rid of the irritating little info panels that appear every time I hover over something ?

The browser appears to be Firefox , when I view a site (of mine) on my mac with Firefox the transparency of a couple of Flash files works fine when viwed on the AA1 the Flash files have a white background (ie no transparency) ?

Now the real biggy - how easy is it to turn this into a Mac ?

Have good weekends (the sun is shining for once here in Southampton UK).

Regards roger

rogertb, Sep 12, 2008
  2. rogertb

Shad0wguy

I'm still fairly new to this as well, but I'll tell you what I know from browsing these forums. Installing OSX on the AAO has been done. From what I have read it is a bit slow and doesn't support all the hardware.

I believe the issue with Flash is a known one and the resolutions should be on these boards. You way want to look into replacing Firefox2 with Firefox3. I don't know if it will fix the flash issue, but Firefox3 is just better in general.

Also, changing to a standard desktop has been done. Search for the thread by the user K0ro. He has directions on how to do it.

That's all I know. The other questions will have to wait for someone more knowledgeable.

Shad0wguy, Sep 12, 2008
  3. rogertb

rogertb

Thank you so much Shad0wguy, I guess you've been in this position yourself, good of you to take the time, I'll follow up your comments. best Roger

rogertb, Sep 12, 2008
  4. rogertb

chowwuikeung

Linpus linux is just a "crippled" version of Fedora 8, so I'm not sure if you can use the newer programs out there.

I think you can upgrade the kernel somehow, but you're still on some limited hardware tho.

chowwuikeung, Sep 13, 2008
  5. rogertb

Jawn

I've put Firefox 3 on my other computers (don't own an AA1 yet but probably will). Does FF3 work enough better on the AA1 to warrant the hassle of installing it (from the forums, it looks like there are some problems).

Thanks!

Jawn, Sep 13, 2008
  6. rogertb

Reno

Reno, Sep 13, 2008
Ask a Question