BBC Radio 1 does not play?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by pobman, Sep 23, 2008.

1. pobman

pobman

Hi all,

I recently purchased an acer one, I think it's very cool and way better than the eepc but have a problem.

I need to be able to listen to bbc radio 1 as I am off soon to NZ for 12 months and my wife can not live without being able to listen to the radio.

I have been trying to work out what is wrong but cannot.

It uses firefox 2 and the mplayerxx.acer plugin
    Radio 1 now uses the iplayer (flash) to play through. The iplayer video works fine but the radio just hangs on transferring data.
    BBC Radio 1

Is this just my acer or is there a fix for this.

Thanks

pobman, Sep 23, 2008
  2. pobman

sparky

hi total new to this linux thing but having fun had the same problem downloaded wine then used that to install real player it worked now listening to radio two (older and wiser) on train through nxec wifi hope this helps

sparky, Sep 23, 2008
  3. pobman

keroro1979

I have the same problem using Firefox 3. Maybe it doesnt like Firefox?

keroro1979, Sep 23, 2008
  4. pobman

daldred

Works on mine (FF2); I've just clicked the link above and Radio 1 started playing in the iPlayer.

Since it's in Flash, I don't think anything I've installed will have affected - but I have installed mplayer and vlc; I guess it's just possible that doing that has pulled in a codec or something which Flash is now using i some way.

daldred, Sep 23, 2008
  5. pobman

rbil

Just tried it on my Ubuntu box and it needs realplayer to run. I don't have that installed, but that is something I guess you will need to look into installing on the AA1.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 24, 2008
  6. pobman

woogal

Works fine here with FF3 and the mplayer plugin (I've upgraded mplayed recently, don't know if that makes a difference).

If the worst comes to the worst though, I would imagine they have radio stations in NZ too ;).

woogal, Sep 24, 2008
  7. pobman

ferryja

I was vexed with the same problem. BBC1 would play for a while, then go silent. I think the sleep function +/or screensaver were interfering. I found an easy fix! (This is on an AA1 with Linpus, Firefox, no mods.)

This is a very newbie-level solution that has worked for me--no mysterious programming or new downloads needed:
    1. on the Desktop, click 'Settings" at the lower right;
    2. on Settings page, click 'Power Center' icon;
    3. on the 'Scheme settings' tab, go to the 'Running on AC' tab;
    4. click on the word 'Autosuspend';
    5. uncheck the box 'enable autosuspend'.
    6.After you click the 'Listen live' button at the BBC page, choose 'launch this in standalone player' when the media player box comes up.
    7. Toggle the display off using fn-F6 keys.

thus: no suspend function, no screensaver, and the BBC goes on and on . . . . .

(I love the thought of insomniacs all around the globe, all lying awake listening to the same thing)

ferryja, Oct 5, 2008
  8. pobman

sideways

sideways, Oct 5, 2008
  9. pobman

Darryl

open terminal
    Code:
    sudo yum update mplayer

Darryl, Oct 6, 2008
Ask a Question