Battle of the Netbooks!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by midgetdiablo, Aug 15, 2008.

1. midgetdiablo

midgetdiablo

Here's an article on Engadget asking what's the best netbook out there. Here's the link: http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/14/ask-engadget-whats-the-best-netbook-out-there/4#comments

Let's show them who's got the best netbooks around!

midgetdiablo, Aug 15, 2008
  2. midgetdiablo

hmraao

Oh Lordy, Trouble So Hard...

Not more of this "my keyboard's 18% bigger than yours," malarky. Here's an idea. Let's not.

You know what they say about pride and a fall? The one coming before the other.

Rather, in the words of the great Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy!

(The clue lies in the OP's name. The little devil.)

hmraao, Aug 15, 2008
  3. midgetdiablo

rjm

I noticed when reading the engadget thread earlier that the A1 seemed somewhat over-represented, now maybe I know why! :)

Either that or theres been a really big recent shift in opinion generally away from "Get a 901/Wind or wait for thea Dell E" to a general realization that the Aspire One is the best value for money option right now. At least at North American pricing.

If so that's really good news for Acer.

Based on that thread the buzz has really disappeared from the 901, and the Eee PC netbooks generally. I'm still puzzled about what happened to the Wind though. That netbook was looking like a real frontrunner then somehow it crashed and burned.

rjm, Aug 16, 2008
  4. midgetdiablo

midgetdiablo

Well, the more publicity we give to the aspire one, the bigger the community will be, and the more Acer will pay attention to this product. ;)

midgetdiablo, Aug 16, 2008
  5. midgetdiablo

gbee

It's simply taken too long to get to market, already the next big thing, the Lenovo S10/S9 (£325+ !) is on the horizon. To a lot of people it looks like a Wind beater and others simply feel they can't wait, or that it just isn't as good value as something like an Aspire one or even first gen Eee.

I must admit I started to wonder what might appear just 3/4 months from now and whether I should hold off buying the One, however you can say the same with all tech and eventually you have to take the plunge. The One looks to do everything I could want from a netbook, although maybe not much more should my needs change, if I need something else in a year then it's cheap enough that I won't feel buyers remorse (especially if I can get some money back via Ebay).

gbee, Aug 16, 2008
  6. midgetdiablo

jpnjim

I don't think I'll regret buying a 'One'.
    $399 US isn't much to pay for what it does, and I'd be surprised if something came out for similar money that I liked better.

I would be disappointed if Acer came out with a 10" screen version, in this same chasis tho.
    I def would have paid $30-50 more to have had a screen that better filled the available space.

jpnjim, Aug 17, 2008
  7. midgetdiablo

supton

I haven't bought a One yet, but am sorely tempted to. If it had longer battery life, I probably would have just bought one already. Instead, I'm probably going to keep saving my pennies, and then see what pops up in the next few months. What's funny is that two weeks ago I had never heard of a "netbook", and my laptop hasn't had a good battery in a few years -- but now I just gotta have a netbook!

supton, Aug 17, 2008
  8. midgetdiablo

crackbook

In this day and age my cell phone bill is about $2000 USD a year the Aspire One is totally affordable, $379 is worth it to be able to do my job from literally anywhere with this thing and stay in touch with people when I travel.. The only problem is my Macbook has not even been turned on in the 48 hours that I have owned this little beast.

crackbook, Aug 17, 2008
  9. midgetdiablo

atarione

didn't (as I understand it) MSI jack up the price $50 after they officially announced the product and pricing? STRIKE

they where talking about letting users have OC options in the bios..that someone (probably the sane guy :D ) Kaboshed STRIKE

and it has been haaard to find anyways STRIKE

The wind did have a lot of hype going I almost waited for it...but I am glad I just grabbed my little blue Aspire one, It has been going with me everywhere.

atarione, Aug 17, 2008
  10. midgetdiablo

midgetdiablo

In Taiwan, the MSI Wind actually came out earlier than the Aspire One. I did tons of research on both netbooks and I'm glad I waited for the Aspire One. I also tried them both out at the computer exhibition. Although the Wind claims to have a 1.3mp webcam, the colors are so distorted!
    Also, the Aspire One is just a beautiful device for it's price. I don't know why some people are complaining about the glossy screen. I think it's gorgeous and turning it on full brightness cancels out the glare from the sun pretty well. It also goes nice with the glossy black sides on the monitor.
    I never even considered about buying the EeePC. It's just fucking ugly. I wonder to myself how come I don't see any posts about the EeePC being super ugly. It just looks like a toy. It looks like one of those toy cell phones that are meant for kids to play with but don't work.

The Aspire One actually looks like a professional laptop, just mini.

midgetdiablo, Aug 17, 2008
  11. midgetdiablo

Davidcowling

i hope this doesnt turn into a PS3, XBOX360, WII fanboyesque forum fight.

but it probably will be...

Davidcowling, Aug 18, 2008
Ask a Question