Battery Wear Level 5% at New?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by AspireOverdrive, Mar 21, 2009.

1. AspireOverdrive

AspireOverdrive

I just installed Notebook Hardware Control on my AAO 150 and the battery capacity is 54054mwh opposed to 5900mwh and wear level is 5%

I get great battery life, but should I be concerned about this.

AspireOverdrive, Mar 21, 2009
  2. AspireOverdrive

leeleatherwood

Mine said the same thing when i first got it, you need to completely charge the battery and then completely drain the batter about 2-3 times.

And by completely i mean completely. Windows will automatically shut the computer down because it thinks the battery is dead when in all actuality you have 40+ minutes remaining. When windows shuts the computer down, start it back up and keep it going until it will not power back on. Then hook the charger up and turn the computer back on, when it gets into windows unplug the charger, do this like 3 times. Then go ahead and charge it back up completely.

Mine now says capacity of 62,748 mWh (6275mAh) and the battery is rated at 5800mAh, its a Panasonic model battery, i guess they are under-rated.

Also, you will need to perform this procedure like once a month in order to keep your battery knowing its full charge capacity, this is called battery conditioning.

leeleatherwood, Mar 21, 2009
  3. AspireOverdrive

AspireOverdrive

Mine is a panasonic too. So I'll give the complete discharge a try.

By the looks of the battery gauge, it's going to be a looooooooooong wait though.

AspireOverdrive, Mar 21, 2009
  4. AspireOverdrive

leeleatherwood

Yep, just go ahead and put on an MP3 on repeat and then turn the volume down and let it run. This will keep it from going to sleep/hibernate while the music is playing. (Using windows media player atleast)

leeleatherwood, Mar 21, 2009
  5. AspireOverdrive

jychow

wow. mine is 63083 mWh and 0% wear. that is GREAT battery... i love my aao :lol:

jychow, Mar 24, 2009
  6. AspireOverdrive

ssmitty85

Have you guys noticed any longer battery life after doin this.??

ssmitty85, Mar 25, 2009
  7. AspireOverdrive

Plastikman

Remember these are Li-ion batteries. They do not have a "memory" as the older types of batteries did.

Mine came at 6% wear. this type of battery can loose up to 20% per year and be usless in 3-4 years wether you use it or not. they have a very poor shelf life.

Fully discharging them damages this type of battery. They can only be charged-discharged about 400-600 (a little bit more on some of the newer ones) times before total loss.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_io ... Shelf_life

Plastikman, Mar 25, 2009
  8. AspireOverdrive

leeleatherwood

Its not the battery with the "memory" its the microchip INSIDE the battery. And yes the batteries need to be fully discharged every once in a while so that the microchip will realize the full battery capacity.

Even the article you posted says the same exact thing:

leeleatherwood, Mar 26, 2009
  9. AspireOverdrive

AspireOverdrive

Yeah, I am aware that LitIon batteries don't like to be discharged. They are happy around 40% from what I've read.

I have ran it on batteries 4 or 5 times, no lower than 80% remaining and I am up to full rated capacity. As long as I am up to full rated capacity, I won't thrash the batteries by running it dead.

AspireOverdrive, Mar 30, 2009
Ask a Question