Battery wear discussion

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by simba, Feb 12, 2009.

1. simba

simba

Hi guys, my aspire one is around 2 weeks old now, i downloaded batterybar after reading some discussion on hotdealsuk and noticed my battery also shows 11.5% battery wear......can anyone explain why this is - is it a dodgy battery?

thanks,

simba

simba, Feb 12, 2009
  2. simba

jackluo923

My battery has wear level of 18% wear level.

jackluo923, Feb 12, 2009
  3. simba

jeremysdad

Two week old stock 6 cell: 4% wear. Two month old 3 cell: 1.8% wear.

jeremysdad, Feb 13, 2009
  4. simba

simba

realised there is a section to discuss batteries - can a mod move this thread to the appropriate section plz.

simba, Feb 13, 2009
  5. simba

artshark

PHEW. I got so worried! I am at 2 weeks and having been using my AA1 daily on ac power, and have 7% wear, and have been worried. is all fine?

artshark, Feb 19, 2009
  6. simba

goaten2000

My AOA is 1 month old, I just unstalled BatteryBar and I've got 1.5% wear.

Not sure if it makes a difference bt I only leave my AOA plugged in until it get's to 100% then unplug it straight away to avoid unecessary charging etc.

I've ordered a 9 cell battery as well, as soon as that comes I'll post results up here

goaten2000, Feb 19, 2009
  7. simba

ronime

I think wear levels are more a case of pot luck - it depends on whether the battery assembler gets a batch of high grade, well matched cells.

The individual cells that are used to make the batteries are mass produced by the million and the maximum capacity and charge/discharge characteristics may vary considerably from cell to cell.

The designed capacity of the battery is programmed into the battery's embedded controller, e.g. 2200mAH. If a matching set of 2200mAH cells are then used to construct the battery then the actual capacity would also be 2200mAH and wear level would be zero. Wear level is a measure of the difference between the designed capacity and the actual capacity.

If any of the cells are less than 2200mAH or have a mismatched charging profile then the designed capacity will never be achieved and the battery will report a wear level greater than zero.

The individual cells will be graded and usually the best matched cells will command a premium price. The poorer grades will still be of some value to someone somewhere and will also find their way into the battery assembly market (at a lower price).

A similar thing happens with TFT panels. The best panels command a price premium and are bought by the premium brand TV and display manufacturers. The crappy panels with pixel defects are used by the no-name manufacturers for their very cheap LCD TVs and displays.

ronime, Feb 19, 2009
  8. simba

chuckcalo

5 months old 3 cell battery with a 20% wear =[.

It used to be 25% but with some calibrations I've managed to squeeze out 5% less.

chuckcalo, Feb 19, 2009
  9. simba

artshark

what kind of calibrations are we talking about?

artshark, Feb 19, 2009
  10. simba

judeh101

6 months old 6 cell = 82% wear (got warranty replacement)
    other 6 cell battery 2 months old = 5% wear.
    These batteries suck balls.

judeh101, Feb 21, 2009
  11. simba

artshark

well the latter is fine, but yeah, 82% wear is pretty darn horrid.

artshark, Feb 21, 2009
  12. simba

goaten2000

OK well I've hd my 9 cell battery for a week now, it's had 5/6 charges and is currently showing 0.0% wear.

I bought the battery from batteryresource88 on eBay and am getting around 7 hours use from it (wifi / bluetooth on)

goaten2000, Feb 27, 2009
  13. simba

jeremysdad

Update: My stock 6 cell has now reverted back to 3 percent...

jeremysdad, Feb 27, 2009
  14. simba

Oliversdad

Quick question, how do I check battery wear? My battery is about 50% capacity after charging from when I first got my little AAO about 4 months ago. I'm thinking about calling support - do you know how I'll fare? Any tactics to try or any to definatly avoid?

Edit: got battery info and battery wear shows 21%. Thats after 4 months on the 3 cell battery that came with the PC. Do you think thats within expected operating levels or its low (naturally it feels low to me! but maybe I'm just a cheap bugger not wanting to splash out on a replacement part so soon)

Thanks a lot,
    Stuart

Oliversdad, May 31, 2009
  15. simba

the803

Mine looks like it's dying.
    Been 3 weeks, 11% wear. Battery life has seemed to reduce. At the moment im on 40% and it reports it as 37 minutes. Shall I give a call to the manufacturer?

the803, May 31, 2009
  16. simba

MarkG10527

Thought I'd post in this thread.

There's a lot of discussion to find out how strong a battery is or on how much "life" it has to hold a charge. I had a Dell laptop from about 10 years ago and their instructions told me that I should run it on AC power and not run the battery down to completely drained. When I did that, the battery life dropped down to 5 minutes of use after completely recharging it within two years. After that, I couldn't run the laptop on the battery anymore - it has to be plugged in all the time.

Now I have this refurbished Acer Aspire One (Intel Atom dual core, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD) with the stock battery it came with. I get about 1.5 hours of continuous use out of it. Problem is, I usually keep it on for 7-8 hours when I'm at work, so I plug it in. The indicator in my Win XP Home tray shows "x% charging" and when it's fully charged, then says "On AC Power". and the battery indicator light is glowing green.

When it's "On AC Power", does that mean the battery is cut off and it's running through the power connection, or is it continually charging the battery while I'm plugged in - in effect over-charging the battery and lowering the life-expectancy of the battery?

I would like to know so I don't run into the same problem I had with my Dell laptop - where I lost its "mobility" feature (it's now nothing more than a portable computer, not a mobile computer!)

~ Mark

MarkG10527, Jul 2, 2009
  17. simba

judeh101

overcharing the Lithium Ion Battery is not possible. However, you should not discharge the batteries too often. that way, it'll keep your batteries still nice and fresh.
    My 2nd 6 cell battery had a bit of a wear now, but since it's properly taken care of, I got only 7% wear level. and it's been 7-8 month now.
    For my 1st battery, which had like an 85% wear somehow reverted itself back to 16%. WTF?! that's right, 16%. and it's been 10 months since I had that battery.

...and that's after I left it in the freezer for 3 weeks (almost a month)

ONLY DISCHARGE YOUR LI-ION BATTERY IF YOU'RE RECALIBRATING THE CHIP INSIDE.

judeh101, Jul 3, 2009
Ask a Question