Battery ticks while charging! - D150

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Jamie, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Jamie

Jamie

I am very happy with my Aspire One D150 netbook (nice 2GB upgrade) but the other day, the 3-cell battery started ticking (only while the AC adapter is plugged in) between 93 and 100% charge. It ticks about 3 times every second and is really annoying. I hope it's not going to blow up!?! It holds a good charge of 2.5 hours and works fine, just ticks like mad while charging between 93 and 100%!
    Anybody know how I can fix this?

Jamie, Jan 14, 2010
  2. Jamie

Swarvey Moderator

I had a similar problem with my 150 ages ago. It decided it wouldn't turn on at all. All I got was this "ticking" noise. Since I'd hacked the crap outta it I didn't go for warranty and just bought a new D250. My guess at the time is that there was a problem in the charging circuit. I know it wasn't my battery as I'm currently using it in my D250.

Since i still had the charger from my 150 and it was compatible with my 250, i used it for a while and originally intended to sell the new 'unopened' charger on ebay. However after a week or two the charger died. Have to use the new one now.

So my overall opinion is that either the charging circuit died and did irrepairable damage to the charger, or vice versa. I would suggest testing with another charger to see if the ticking still occurs. If it does, I'd suggest backing up and sending for warranty as you don't want to end up with a fried circuit board whilst in the middle of doing something serious. - The ticking noise could be a short which may only appear when the battery is charged sufficiently to even out the amperage between the battery and charge circuit.

Swarvey, Feb 3, 2010
Ask a Question