battery not charging fully

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by pavonia, Jul 27, 2011.

1. pavonia

pavonia

I bought an aspire one n450 with a 6 cell Li ion battery in the fall of 2010.

at the beginning of 2011 the battery stopped charging to 100%, never getting higher than 65%. I let the battery run down to zero, recharged and it still got no higher than 65%. after a month or so, with me doing nothing different, it began recharging to 100%. But then around a month ago it went back to only partly charging. The first week only to 50%, after three weeks no higher than 41%.
    How long are aspire batteries supposed to last? does the warranty cover the battery? Thanks

pavonia, Jul 27, 2011
  2. pavonia

smartmom

My daughter had this problem. We bought her a new battery online and come to fact it worked well for a while and then the same thing happened again. The laptop was used when we bought it so we just got her a new one. The old laptop we still use and have since put it in the shop. We just let them clean it out and put new programs in it. I am not sure what the problem is with why the battery does not fully charge but I feel that the warranty should cover the battery. The battery now will not stay charged at all. If we use it, we have to plug it up the entire time. Annoying!!

smartmom, Jan 24, 2014
  3. pavonia

jwalk

My battery is always playing up. It always stays stuck at 99% not charging even though it's plugged in. The only way to stop it is to let the battery drop to below 90% then plug the charger back in. I have no idea why this happens but it's irritating to say the least.

jwalk, Mar 5, 2014
  4. pavonia

something back

something back, Mar 6, 2014
  5. pavonia

amberleviel

I think this is common. I've had 2 laptops already and both of them failed with battery. My friends also tell me the same problem. The max they can last is 2 years.

amberleviel, Mar 29, 2014
  6. pavonia

Patrick Shah

I feel your pain. Acer based laptops has a problem in their battery. The battery the provide to consumers are not really as great compared to Dell or Hp.
    I believe warranty does not cover battery fault and purchasing a new one is something I would suggest. It is not really expensive and you can get it around $30.
    It is a good investment and battery are one of the common faults in laptops.

Patrick Shah, Mar 30, 2014
  7. pavonia

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Except for a possible 3 month warranty - Batteries are NOT USUALLY included in the warranty of Laptops because if you do not read and follow, the manufacturers Warnings, you can trash the battery within the first week...

If you read the specification of Laptop batteries; and they ARE hard to find!
    because...
    Batteries are USUALLY made by Battery Manufacturers FOR the big computer Companies... not usually BY the Big Companies.

You will find that the NUMBER OF CHARGES is one of the life limiting factors in Battery life. this used to be 1000 Charges but a drop of 1% to 99% recharged to 100% THAT counts as a charge...

There is a circuit built into the batteries which counts up number of charges - There is also a life (in Years) counter in that circuitry...

When either 1000 charges or the life in years clocked up in the circuitry has passed - there is usually (depends on BATTERY manufacturer) a message pops up - warning about Battery expired 'Get a new one'

Another 'excellent' laptop battery program is BatteryBar (around ver 3.6 now)

Just so you know.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Mar 31, 2014
  8. pavonia

KimmyMarkks

Warranties rarely cover batteries which is so annoying. I've had this happen too, except in my case the battery wouldn't hold a charge. It was like I was working off a desktop. You can buy a replacement battery for about $100. I'd always go with a reputable brand otherwise it's just as likely to happen again. In my cases the battery only lasted 1.5 years before it gave way.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 6, 2015
  9. pavonia

diligentworker

I'm having the same issue with my battery. I've had this same battery since I bought my computer, and that was like 5 years ago. I'm sure it is just time for me to replace it.

diligentworker, Dec 13, 2015
  10. pavonia

IcyBC

Battery life is always a problem for me too with my HP before. It gets very frustrating, so I just take out the battery all together and keep it plug in with the cord. I only use the battery when I am traveling. Usually though, battery will act up right after a year of usage for me too.

IcyBC, Dec 30, 2015
  11. pavonia

nytegeek

Lithium batteries have a shelf life of 5 years. The clock starts ticking from the moment of manufacture.

nytegeek, Dec 30, 2015
    diligentworker likes this.
  12. pavonia

diligentworker

Thanks for the information. I figured that was the problem. I just don't know how to go about replacing the battery. What information do I need to buy the correct battery online? I definitely don't have the money to buy the wrong one.

diligentworker, Jan 10, 2016
Ask a Question