Battery mode, Online video, and CPU control?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi all,

I tried using the search button but I couldn't find any info on my problem.

I have this habit of draining my battery completely before charging it (some people say it will help preserve battery life?). While I was at it, I tried watching online videos with 24% of my battery life remaining but the videos kept stuttering. For testing purposes I plugged in my computer and I realized the video stopped stuttering and ran very smoothly right afterwards.

I was just wondering if the laptop runs slower when it's running on batteries. Is there a way or a software that allows you to optimize your CPU speed when running on batteries? If I am not mistaken, I remember there was a short cut button on my old toshiba laptop that allowed me to do so. Is there such a thing for the AAO?

Many thanks before hand.

Guest, Oct 2, 2008
  2. Guest

melhiore

It's not necessarily truth. Modern batteries does not have "memory" effect. There is no difference when you charging them..

I've got funny feeling that it's not battery problem. Are you using default config?? What system?? Possible there is Power saving mode on battery activated and Wi-Fi is behaving funny...

Can you try any software to check CPU speed?? This will tell you everything about speed on battery and mains...

melhiore, Oct 2, 2008
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

First of all, I would like to thank you melhiore for the insanely fast reply.

Im currently using the 1.6ghz version 1GB ram with windows xp. I'm not using wifi so that shouldn't be the problem. I also tried searching for the program that allows you to change computer properties when running on batteries but I can't seem to find it.

As for checking computer speed, I'm a complete noob with computers. I'd be glad to post results but could you point out a few programs I can use to check my speed?

Thanks.

Guest, Oct 2, 2008
  4. Guest

kevin

My (Linux) AA1 certainly runs slower when the battery is nearly exhausted. It doesn't run slower on battery in general, but when it gets down to about 20% what happens is that the on-demand increase in CPU speed does not occur. It continues to run at the minimum speed. This all happens inside the Linux kernel -- you can override the behaviour if you want, but it seems sensible to me.

I don't know how Windows XP deals with this situation. If it's the same as Linux, then the behaviour you describe seems normal enough. I'm afraid I don't know enough about Windows to tell you how to find out. Sorry.

kevin, Oct 2, 2008
  5. Guest

melhiore

melhiore, Oct 2, 2008
Ask a Question