Battery Life Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by arthurinparis, Dec 21, 2008.

1. arthurinparis

arthurinparis

Hey fellas,

As I used my AAO loaded with Ubuntu 8.10 without my electric plug today , I noticed that the battery life is half that what it used to be on Linpus. My AAO was about 2 to 3 hours fully charged and now it dropped to a mere 90 minutes...What's up with that?

Would anyone let me know if this is a one user type of problem or if it is the case for everyone setting up Ubuntu on the AAO ?
    Besides it takes about 2-3 minutes for the power icon to get in when booting and when I switch between battery and plug, it takes even longer to switch statuses...I have updated my Ubuntu but it does not seem to make any changes.

I have to say that Acer should have gone with Ubuntu in the first place, I really don't see why would they implement that Linpus OS....

Thanks guys, happy holidays,

Arthur

arthurinparis, Dec 21, 2008
  2. arthurinparis

jango

My is 1h 40min always, no more, no less....

jango, Dec 21, 2008
  3. arthurinparis

arthurinparis

ain't no way to expand that? I mean even for a 3 cells that's pretty short....Kinda makes me want to go back to Linpus...

arthurinparis, Dec 21, 2008
  4. arthurinparis

RockDoctor

Perhaps because Linpus Lite, as implemented by Acer, supports all of the AA1's hardware whereas Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, etc... do not. Acer's kernel is the only one that supports the xD card-reading capabilities of the right card slot. The modules they used do not work with later versions of the Linux kernel

RockDoctor, Dec 22, 2008
  5. arthurinparis

arthurinparis

Great to know about the xD cards...Dammit I had forgotten about that, just may switch back to Linpus now...

arthurinparis, Dec 22, 2008
  6. arthurinparis

SlCKB0Y

Applying all the power saving tweaks and stuff to minimise hard drive access got mine up to about 2h 10m - 2h 20m with wifi on

SlCKB0Y, Dec 23, 2008
  7. arthurinparis

tpost001

I have the AAO with 120 GB hard drive. It came with Windows XP and I immediately installed grub and Ubuntu 8.04.1. I followed a lot of advice on tweaking the AAO from the Ubuntu and Debian web pages (I have no problem accessing either the left or right card reader). Using the 3-cell battery that came with the AAO, I did some religious timing experiments, and I got 1 hour 55 minutes no matter what I did. Dim or bright lit screen, actively using the computer or letting it sit idle. I don't know why. I did go to EBAY and found a seller from Hong Kong that sells 9-cell batteries for the AAO. I got one. I now get 7 hours 55 minutes of battery life each and every time. I LOVE IT. Two of these babies and I can fly anywhere in the world and don't need a power supply. The battery adds weight, and now the total weight of the AAO is just under 3 pounds. Since my AAO did not come with Linpus I cannot say anything about it. But I am doing everything I used to do with my other laptops using Ubuntu.

tpost001, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question