Battery level not reported

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Carrotts, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Carrotts

Carrotts

I have an Acer One 8GB linpus lite
    I have made a few config changes to my One, and now my battery level is not reported. This problem appeared after I tried the desktop switching script. It didn't work, probably to do with some other mods, it took an age to boot,and stopped most of my hardware from working, i.e. networking and usb. I uninstalled it, and everything seemed ok. I then noticed that my power indicator was always reporting running on AC power. I uninstalled Kpower manager and replaced it with gnome power manage, but it is the same.
    I have done some digging, and it seems that there is a problem with HAL or Dbus reporting my battery state. If I use a command like
    Code:
    watch acpi -b
    I get battery state information. lshal produces nothing, even when i unplug and plug back in the AC adaptor
    Code:
    [user@localhost ~]$ lshal --monitor

Start monitoring devicelist:
    -------------------------------------------------

is all I see. I have plugged a USB stick in, and it is reported ok.
    I have tried reinstalling HAL from an RPM on another thread, and that did not help.
    I did have problems with my usb sticks, and I hav to use a copy of someones policykit.conf file to let "user" have rights to access them, I don't know if this is related.
    I need some help either debugging HAL or DBUS, or with the security settings attached to it. Any advice greatly appreciated as I've spent a few days digging on this and I'm no further towards a solution.
    Hopefully I can get this sorted without a rebuild. This littlemachine is verry popular in my house, I use it,my missus uses it and my three year old daught use it. All find it easy and fun.
    cheers
    carrotts

PS typing this reminded me that I also set something up to rotate/invert screen, around about the same time, that was the reason for the desktop switch. Don't knowif it's relevant.

Carrotts, Dec 14, 2008
  2. Carrotts

Carrotts

I've managed to reapair the battery level, but still not really sure what exactly was wrong.
    Had to add a line
    Code:
    sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/haldaemon restart
    into the /etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh
    this restarts the Hal Daemon, asyou probably guessed. I eventually put it at the end, as the other places near the beginning stopped USB drives automounting. I get a HAl error when the machine starts up, but I simply ok/cancel it.
    If anyone can explain how I've fixed it feel free.
    Cheers
    Carrotts

Carrotts, Dec 15, 2008
Ask a Question