Battery lasts about an hour

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by bob-o, Jan 28, 2015.

1. bob-o

CreoleQueen777

Yes I' am aware of this. I was simply was hinting to the fact that you can find your brands battery at cheaper prices if you hunt for them on/at (Online/ local tech stores). My mistake I should of made myself more clear.

CreoleQueen777, Nov 18, 2015
  2. bob-o

nytegeek

14 years ago this may have been the case but it isn't now. There is a micro-controller that prevents the battery from being overcharged. Modern devices with Lithium batteries can be charged to 100% and left on the charger with no ill effect whatsoever provided you don't have a faulty charger or wiring.

nytegeek, Nov 19, 2015
    CreoleQueen777 likes this.
  3. bob-o

KimmyMarkks

Oh wow. That actually scares me! I leave my computer on my couch and bed all the time. It can easily catch fire one day when I'm not home. He is lucky it didn't do more damage!
    Yes a good quality battery is 100% the way to go. It's just worth the extra cost.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 2, 2015
  4. bob-o

vinaya

Usually a battery has 1000 times charging life, which means a battery will work properly work until it is changed for 1000 times. If you charge more than that life of your laptop battery will slowly decrease. One thousand charging means, if you charge daily, your battery will perform well for two and half years.

vinaya, Apr 4, 2016
  5. bob-o

Benoit W

I'vе bееn rеsеаrсhing nоn-Mас PСs thаt hаvе lоng bаttеry lifе аnd this is whаt I fоund:

1. Thе Lеnоvо ThinkPаd sеriеs: prоmisеs аrоund 8-10 hоurs bаttеry lifе, but if I'm nоt mistаkеn thеir sсrееn sizеs аrе within thе 11-12 inсh rаngе.

2. Thе Lеnоvо IdеаPаd sеriеs: prоmisеs rоughly 8 hоurs оf соmputing, hаs fеаturеs fоr multimеdiа соnsumptiоn, sсrееn sizеs аrе 13" аnd аbоvе.

3. Thе HP Еnvy sеriеs. 10+ hоurs оf bаttеry lifе, sо thеy sаy.

Benoit W, Apr 6, 2016
  6. bob-o

fcuco

Just be careful with the numbers that they are throwing at you, battery life varies dramatically depending on the activities that you are doing on your computer, for instance some of those 10+ hour claims assume that you are not using WiFi and the screen brightness is a the lowest setting, those numbers come with a lot of assumptions and things that they don't tell you, what you need to look for is the actual milliampere mAh capacity of the battery itself, not the amount of "hours" that it will supposedly last. Even that spec is not that straightforward and just because a battery has more mAh doesn't mean that it will last more, it is a little more subtle than that but it gives you a good idea of the actual battery capacity. The same goes with tablets and smart phones, ignore the "hours" and look for the mAh

fcuco, Apr 8, 2016
  7. bob-o

rz3300

Well that is certainly not long enough for anything productive to get done. I have always had a struggle with my batter life when it comes to my laptops, and as son as I finally found one that seemed to last a long time, sure enough I had to have issues with it for other reasons so that one did not last long. It is kind of weird how hard it is to come across a good one that lasts, but I guess that is just how it is, at least in my experience.

rz3300, Apr 10, 2016
  8. bob-o

Dilof

Depends on what I'm doing but my battery usually lasts for at least 4 hours when fully charged. Usually, though, I have my charger in whenever I'm using it as a habit in order to get up to full charge, and then pull it out whenever I'm done.

I also had problems recently with a charger that completely blew and cut off all the other electrical appliances. I'd say if you're really having problems with battery life then it may be time to invest in a new battery, as it'll definitely be beneficial in the long run. Try not to get a cheap one either, as cheaper ones tend to have a lower battery life.

Dilof, Apr 10, 2016
  9. bob-o

Corzhens

This reminds me of the laptop that my father-in-law gave my husband. The battery life is just about an hour and for a serious user, that time is very short. When at home, there's not problem since there is an electrical socket. But what when it is being used outdoors? And so as not to be caught flat-footed with the lowbatt, my husband uses that laptop while plugged for charging. And yes, the battery died after some months.

I guess that is true. I also check if the battery is low before I charge my laptop.

Corzhens, Apr 11, 2016
  10. bob-o

Vash

After two years of normal use, the battery life would be reduced dramatically. Even under the best conditions (low temperature storage without even any usage), a battery would be only at 80% of its original capacity after two years. Under frequent use (recharge and discharge), the battery life should be less than half of what it used to be after two years. It is completely normal.

Besides, what is the capacity of the battery anyway? Some batteries are small to begin with and can't last for more than 2 hours even when brand new.
    My first battery for my Dell Vostro 1500 actually died after just two years. I was unable to recharge it. The second one lasted me another 5 years which was actually bought at the same time but was never in use until the first one died.

If you think the one hour battery life is too low. You might want to think about getting a new batter. Either that, or try to reduce the battery usage by turn off everything in the background. A lot of automatically loaded programs would take up resources even when you are not directly using them.

Vash, Jun 13, 2016
  11. bob-o

nytegeek

The person you responded to was incorrect though. Using it plugged in or leaving it plugged in does not harm the battery. You can't overcharge it. It stops charging at 100%.

nytegeek, Jun 15, 2016
  12. bob-o

SirJoe

Most laptops have both a battery saving program, which will only charge your batteries too 50% capacity and a performance option that will manage the the energy used by your CPU.

SirJoe, Jun 18, 2016
  13. bob-o

nytegeek

Regardless of extra options and settings, the likelihood that a laptop would continue charging a battery at 100% is almost nil. People are paranoid. Devices with Lithium batteries don't overcharge the batteries.

nytegeek, Jun 18, 2016
  14. bob-o

UpgradeMe

Mine is around the same place, but i'm replacing it soon :) I will replace the battery as well as the laptop, but I think I'll keep this one around with the old one.

It's hard to need a $40 battery! it's such an obscure price for something to cost that doesn't even contribute all that much when you are usually near an outlet anyways :(

UpgradeMe, Jun 19, 2016
Ask a Question