Battery lasts a lot longer than before

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by vishnu77, Feb 21, 2019.

1. vishnu77

vishnu77

Hi everyone!

Some background info: I'm in college right now and have classes that are each 3 hours long. On some days I have 2 classes immediately after one another (so a total of 6 hours) and my laptop battery would last just a little bit longer than those 6 hours.

Now today I charged my laptop, but I had to leave before it was fully charged (which I otherwise always do) so it only had 87% I thought it would be a close call wether or not it would make it through the 2 classes.

I hovered over de battery where it said it's percentage, and when you do that it also says the amount of time it would last (approximately). Normally it says something along the lines of: '98% - 7 hours and 23 minutes left'. But now it said: '87% - 18 hours and 44 minutes left.'

First I thought it was just being weird and it would quickly jump back to 6 or 7 hours, but it didn't. I also noticed that my percentage went down a lot slower! I made it through the 2 classes and still had 58% battery left after both of them!

Does anyone know what might be the reason for this?

Small info maybe related to this: I didn't change the brightness of the screen. Normally I put the laptop on battery saving mode which made it last 7 hours, Now I didn't even turn battery saving mode on and it's lasting a lot longer. Wifi is also turned on which I normally turn off, so it's not because I disabled a lot of things.

Thanks! :)

vishnu77, Feb 21, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. vishnu77

Brian8gbSSDLinux

It would appear that you bought a battery with a greater capacity...
    typically 14.4V 2600 mAh versus a 14.4V 2200mAh battery. (just an example)

The mAh figure after the V(oltage) is the number of milliamp hours the battery should last...
    i.e. higher mAh - the longer the battery will last...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Feb 25, 2019
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question