Battery Issues

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Jrgf, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Jrgf

Jrgf

I had my Toshiba for about a year, and when i last turned it on it wasn't charging it's battery. I already tried the normal fixes and didn't work, so i had to activate his warranty and leave it on the shop. Is this a common issue with toshiba laptops?

Jrgf, Sep 13, 2015
  2. Jrgf

something back

The short answer is no, having owned a Toshiba some years ago

I sold it on to a neighbour after a little over two years with a

still functioning battery

something back, Sep 13, 2015
  3. Jrgf

IcyBC

My son has a Toshiba laptop, and his battery is still working. His laptop is over five years old and it is kind of old now but is still functioning better than my HP.

IcyBC, Sep 14, 2015
  4. Jrgf

Diane Lane

The battery and adapter both went out on mine, but it's ancient, so that was to be expected. It probably went out after about 5 years, which I think is a reasonable lifespan. Up until I got a virus or whatever is wrong with the laptop, it worked great, so I'm hoping I'll be able to bring it back to life, it's been a workhorse.

Diane Lane, Sep 14, 2015
  5. Jrgf

Sefie

The battery of my old Toshiba laptop is completely gone, well, almost gone. I don't worry about it one bit though, since the thing is already 7 years old, so it has already delivered what it had to deliver :) It was my bad though, I didn't take care of that battery, but now I'm trying to do things better with my newest laptop. So far so good ;)

Sefie, Sep 15, 2015
  6. Jrgf

Diane Lane

@Sefie What are you going to do differently with your new laptop battery? I'm not sure what exactly kills a battery. I did leave it plugged in a lot, so perhaps that contributed to killing the battery, but like yours, mine is old, and it may have simply given up the ghost due to old age.

Diane Lane, Sep 15, 2015
  7. Jrgf

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Battery Problems with Laptops -

The problem is that you run them on MAINS Electricity with the battery still in place. SIMPLE.

Buy your replacement battery and make sure it gets charged -
    then TAKE IT OUT and replace the OLD battery while you are running your Laptop on Mains electricity - at home (or anywhere, actually).

Only fit your 'New' battery when you need to use it away from the mains electricity... (and don't forget to recharge it when it gets down to 20%)

For the technically minded...

Once a laptop battery drops below a certain level - ( 80% for Samsung laptops) if connected to the mains electricity - it begins to re-charge. That's good....
    NO ! Not really, because - the LIFE of a battery depends on the NUMBER OF RE-CHARGES (say 1000) after that --
    the chemicals in the battery deteriorate and the battery will no longer fully charge up.

So around every hour using your laptop - the battery is being re-charged - 1000hours of use = dead battery

if you USE your Laptop on Battery, not connected to the mains electricity -
    It might take 4 hours to get down to 20% THEN you need to charge it... Straight away - you have cut back on the number of charges your battery has had, while using it, and extended its life from 1000 hours to 4000 hours...

Which is why I recommend you use the old battery - let IT get charged to death every time you use it on mains electricity.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Sep 16, 2015
  8. Jrgf

Sefie

I kept it connected to the AC :p I'm still guilty of doing that most of the time... but now I just take it the battery out and leave it that way, just using the mains electricity. I sometimes use only the battery and let it drop to 15% then let it charge. But now most of the time I take it out and depend on the mains electricity, storing the battery safely in a drawer.

Sefie, Sep 16, 2015
  9. Jrgf

Sefie

Brian, I now take the battery out when I don't to charge it. A friend of mine told me that was the right thing to do, sadly the laptop feels too light when I do that. Wish I could find something to fill that gap... so the laptop doesn't feel so light. Maybe a bunch of erasers? :p

Sefie, Sep 16, 2015
  10. Jrgf

something back

SEFIE If I have understood brianSSDlinux only charge the batteries when around 20% discharged.

“If you have still retained your old battery”, Then Remove the new battery WHEN CHARGED,

and put your old battery back.

Only use the new battery when needed.

something back, Sep 16, 2015
  11. Jrgf

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Correct - and well said! @Somethingback - I should have made my message as short as yours!

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Sep 16, 2015
  12. Jrgf

Rachael

I had the exact same problem. It got to a point (after the hard drive crashed twice, nonetheless) where I was unable to keep my laptop unplugged from the power cord for more than 10 minutes before it died. Reading the above posts, I did leave the computer plugged in quite often and never removed the battery...oops...

Rachael, Apr 11, 2016
  13. Jrgf

Locust

...I didn't know that, I thought it was the other way around, that there was some kind of switch from battery to electricity and the battery only charged to full and that's it.

Which explains why I killed my battery at 4 years. Sure it wasn't plugged in all the time...only for as long as I operated it.

Locust, May 8, 2016
  14. Jrgf

Hermitkrab

My current Toshiba Satellite L55 is at least 10 years old and using the same battery. I rarely run it on battery, as it's usually plugged in, so if the battery eventually dies it wouldn't make much difference to me since it's being used as desktop device primarily.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Hermitkrab, Aug 19, 2021
Ask a Question