Battery died after live update

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Loke, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Loke

Loke

I have got a really weird problem with my aspire one, which started after I performed a live update to my system. After the live update was done, my battery does not work anymore. My Aspire does not start without power cord and is shutdown if I remove the power cord when it is running. Of course it might be possible that the battery died on the exact same moment when I performed the update. However, I would like to ask if anyone has experienced similar problems? I tried to update my bios to the newest version, but it did not have any effect to my problem. Any ideas before I get myself an another battery?

Loke, Nov 20, 2008
  2. Loke

jhedrotten

It might just be a coincidence. Those two may not be related and you might just had a defective battery. If it is still under warranty, go to your dealer to have it replaced.

jhedrotten, Nov 21, 2008
  3. Loke

daldred

Just a thought: has something nasty happened to the powersave settings?

If it has somehow got itself set to shut down when the battery level reaches 99%, you'll not be able to run under battery at all (you'll lose the 1% very quickly and the system will shut itself down as soon as the powersaving starts up).

Have a look at the settings while running on mains power!

daldred, Nov 21, 2008
  4. Loke

Loke

I must admit that you are probably right since when the battery is connected to my aspire one and I look the system information it says that I have got a battery with capacity of 0 mA. Luckily, my aspire one is still under warranty :)

Loke, Nov 22, 2008
  5. Loke

Loke

Any idea what I should be looking? I have already altered the settings that nothing should be done if the battery level is below 5%. Anyway, I think that something might have happened to the battery itself (see my previous post).

Weird test results:

This might not be nothing, but KPowersave did give me very interesting results concerning the battery. When I was using my machine with power cord on and battery at its place, it said that my battery level was 100%. When I removed the battery, it stated that the battery is not present.

The System-software (found from settings) is also giving weird results. When I was using my machine with power cord on and battery at its place, it stated that I had Li-ion 0mA battery. When I removed the battery, it stated that the battery is not available.

These results are weird indeed and I am going to test my battery by using my friend's aspire one next week. I will give you more information after those tests.

Loke, Nov 22, 2008
  6. Loke

jhedrotten

yeah it'a also a possibility, that is if you have upgraded your kpowersave to give you those options

jhedrotten, Nov 23, 2008
Ask a Question