Battery Dead Already?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by tomo88, Nov 1, 2008.

1. tomo88

tomo88

Hi all,

I only purchased my AA1 about a couple months ago and there was about a two week period where I was not using it and only just tried to use it yesterday. Mind you, during this two week period the battery was pretty must discharged (was on like 1% when I last used it)

Now when I insert the battery, normally the battery LED flickers on and then goes back off to indicate there's power in there and when you try turn the unit on with an empty battery the LED normally blinks to indicate the battery is empty.

Now when I insert the battery the LED doesn't flicker nor does it blink when I try turn the unit on.

When I try to charge the battery (whilst the unit is on), the battery LED stays orange for a while but then after some time starts to periodically blink (on for 5 seconds, then off for 5 seconds).

The unit runs fine when it is connected to the AC.

Also, when connected to the AC with the battery inserted, XP says that no battery is actually in and thus won't charge it.

Could be battery be dead already? Surely only over two weeks of the battery being discharged it couldn't of died. Anyone else experienced this? Should I just send it for "repairs"? I could only presume they'd give me a new battery

Thanks for your help

tomo88, Nov 1, 2008
  2. tomo88

Tamrac

It's a BAD idea to leave a Lithium Ion battery discharged for long periods of time. Worse that you left it at 1% for 2 weeks! Unlike the older Nickel Cadmium batteries, Li-ion should be stored with a charge. Around 50% is the recommended level. But storing them at full capacity is fine. Try keeping it plugged in the mains to try see if the battery will somehow come back to life and recalibrate itself with the BIOS and OS. If it does not, then just go get a new battery for your AAO. Maybe this would be a good chance to get the 6 cell if you see fit. And remind yourself not to leave the battery discharged.

Oh btw, I'm a photographer by profession. So I'm working with batteries literally all the time. From NiCd to NiMh to Alkalines to Li-ions..... despite whatever people are reading about lithium ions, my experience shows that leaving them without a charge tends to reduce it's service life drastically.

Tamrac, Nov 1, 2008
  3. tomo88

tomo88

thanks for the reply

hahah yea I thought it would've been because of leaving it discharged, but I didn't think only a couple weeks would cause that to happen! *sigh*

I'll try send it in for repairs without 'knowing what the problem is' and see if warranty covers it (which it hopefully does). I have another main laptop and I go without using that battery for months as its like my desktop replacement and its never died on me when I do use it.

Unfortunately because I live in Australia the 6-cell battery isn't locally available... I saw it on amazon.co.uk as posted on the main page of this site but with conversion rates and especially the postage it'll clock up at least 150-200 AUD.

Anyone have any ways of possibly 'kick starting' the battery, or experiences with the same issue?

tomo88, Nov 1, 2008
  4. tomo88

vinistois

I was dissapointed with the battery life of my one, was only lasting 1.5 hours. I called Acer, told them the battery wasn't taking a charge properly. 2 DAYS LATER I received a brand new battery from Acer in Texas, all the way up in Vancouver, Canada. I was blown away. No charge, no question, and incredibly fast shipping.

Way to go Acer! Now THAT is warranty support.

Turns out, the battery I got from acer says 45W hours, while the original one says 22W hours. They are both 3 cell and both rated at 2200mah. I do not understand how they can get double the watt hours, while keeping the same voltage and current ratings, but care I do not, it works! The new battery lasts 2.5 hours, which combined with the 1.5 of my original, lasts me through the whole day in school, so I don't have to lurk near power outlets anymore.

Call, tell them its not working, you shall get a new one in the mail.

I didn't even have to prove my purchase, all they asked of me was the serial number and my address.

vinistois, Nov 1, 2008
  5. tomo88

tomo88

hahah wow geez ur lucky

Well I finally got it to charge, it just magically said in the icon that it started charging when I booted it one time, normally it would just say running on AC so its all good now, I've definitely learnt my lesson - never leave it discharged!

I did find out they are selling the 6 cell on the Australian Acer website, 129 AU dollars... might think about it because the 2 hrs I get don't last me for a day of lectures

tomo88, Nov 1, 2008
  6. tomo88

judeh101

Hey, I live in vancouver too! can you tell me the number for Acer Texas???
    I want to get new battery too.

judeh101, Nov 2, 2008
  7. tomo88

judeh101

anyone with acer in texas phone?

judeh101, Nov 2, 2008
Ask a Question