Battery charging required to start using Aspire One?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by latace, Sep 8, 2008.

1. latace

latace

Greetings,
    Finally got my Aspire One after a two month wait (8GB 512MB version). Looks and feels extremely nice!

Now my question is this:

Am I required to charge the battery fully for first use?

I followed the quick start instructions(no mention of charging the battery there) and thought I could start using One immediately, however machine shuts down after about 45-60 seconds of use (doesn't matter where I am BIOS or Linpus). The power light is orange (no flickering).

Curious, has anybody experienced anything similar?

UPDATE: after about 10minutes of charging the battery light goes green, but by now I am scared enough not to turn it on.
    I summoned enough courage to turn on One again after about 20minutes, this time I managed to open browser but machine shuts down again! :( The battery light still showing green though...

latace, Sep 8, 2008
  2. latace

blackjack

I read the Quick Start as saying yes, you can use it right away if you have it plugged in. But you should go ahead and charge it all the way. Just leave it charging overnight even. And I wouldn't judge necessarily by the green light. Check the meter in the OS (I'm a Windows AA1-user so I wouldn't know where to look) and see how much use-time it seems to say you have.

I'm assuming AA1 isn't prone to "rechargeable battery memory" issues the way some NiCad packs are. I had a cordless vacuum gadget where I didn't follow the charging directions properly (it said to use it until totally dead before recharging for the first time). I did it wrong, and the battery wouldn't give me more than maybe 5 minutes use before it would run out of power, no matter how long I recharged it.

What you're describing reminds me of that experience, but I wouldn't think an AA1 would have that issue. :? If it truly won't charge all the way (and give you 2.5-3 hrs use as it should), then perhaps the battery is defective. The one other thing I could think of is that if maybe you inadvertently had the machine in standby mode (where it still uses a trickle of power) instead of entirely off, maybe that's why it's not fully charging up.

blackjack, Sep 8, 2008
  3. latace

latace

Thanks for the reply!

From the looks of it, battery appears fine now. Whew...

After about an hour of charging, I turned it on again, finally with no problems. I run it on battery power for about an hour then switched back to AC.

Of course, these multiple forced shutdowns had destroyed network connectivity (appears to be a common problem on One)

Thanks to these forums, I found a fix. :)

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/...1&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=network+center

latace, Sep 8, 2008
  4. latace

acerj

I had the same problem , and it would shutdown even with AC power ! I called ACER and they asked me to ship it back to them . But then I just took the battery out and put it back and now everything is working fine !! I am not sure what the problem is ??

acerj, Sep 12, 2008
  5. latace

h31p

Hi guys,

I collected my AA1 last night, connected it to the mains and waited until this morning before I turned it on.

When I opened the lid, there was an orange light behind the power button, which I then pressed. Nothing happened! Nothing at all! I have tried connecting the charger to another mains socket, I have tried removing / adding the battery, but still nothing. The light just stays orange.

I've done a search for similar topics, which is why I have revived this old topic. Nothing else really seemed to answer my question - lots of people had machines that would turn on before automatically shutting down again, but mine wont even turn on.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks

h31p, Oct 29, 2008
Ask a Question