Batteries go bad fast

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Fuzyon, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Fuzyon

Fuzyon

I've already switched my battery on my current laptop after a year because it got quite hot everytime I was charging up my computer, I was afraid it would somehow blow up and I couldn't even hold it in my hand. I feel like batteries go bad really fast on laptops, especially if you keep them plugged in for long periods of time but I don't really understand why, aren't they supposed to resist to large periods of charging? Is it an issue just with my laptop?

Fuzyon, Jul 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Fuzyon

ProNine

Are you making sure that you're buying original brands rather thank knockoffs? Anyways, if you do make sure to buy original batteries from the manufacturers and the batteries still go bad, then you might want to check both the cable you're using and the laptop itself. Sometimes a cable can be letting too much electricity which the battery can't handle. ( Bad transformer or incompatible voltages )

ProNine, Jul 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. Fuzyon

Corzhens

I have read an article that the bane of laptops is the unstable battery. There are batteries that easily dry up so the charging is up to 20% only. Some batteries are fast to charge and fast to discharge. The article was hinting on a new generation of laptop batteries that would remain 100% with the life even after 2 or 3 years. But for now, we have to be content with changing batteries to have a new battery life.

Corzhens, Jul 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. Fuzyon

vinaya

If you over charge your laptop battery, you will be cutting life from the battery. Usually laptop battery has 1000 time charging limit, which means it will function properly until you have charged 1000 times, if your charging crosses that limit, your battery performance will be reduced. Over charging and frequent charging will damage your battery

vinaya, Jul 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. Fuzyon

IBMPC8088

If you're not using your laptop as a mobile system and are at home or work or school with it near a plug (and you can get to the battery), it's often ideal to remove the battery from the laptop after it's charged and set it aside so that you just use your laptop like a portable desktop for the moment. The only disadvantage to this is if there is a temporary power spike or brownout (because the system will turn off rather than switching to the battery), but the benefit of this is that you don't constantly charge or discharge the battery over and over again, and can make it last longer that way.

There are sometimes a few batteries that get sent out from the original mfg that aren't up to quality control standards for some reason, and there's mass-produced ones in asia that are extremely cheap compared to new batteries, but not all of them are safe or work correctly on replacement models. Even if you're using one of those replacements and it only lasts for a certain period of time, you're going to get more time out of it by removing it and not using it when you don't have to.

This may not be an option for the newer laptops that build the battery into the case, but then again, replacing it wouldn't be that easy for most consumers, either (which is what the manufacturers want now...for people to either throw it away with the bad battery and "buy new" all over again, or to send it back to them so that they can charge for fixing it or give you a credit toward a new one, but replace the battery on the old one and resell it, or basically sell it twice to where they get double the profit from it while only giving you a coupon for the old one because of the bad battery on it!)

If you can get to it and remove it when not needed though, it'll help. Keeping it at room temperature or slightly cooler when not connected is ideal.

IBMPC8088, Jul 7, 2016
  6. Fuzyon

rz3300

It is strange because it almost feels like a hit or miss on whether or not you are going to get a good battery or a lousy one. Even among brands it seems that each product is different and you really do not know what you are going to get. I can usually tell right away which one it is too, because the bad ones will not keep a charge nearly as long, and then I just hang my head and know that I will have to deal with it in the near future.

rz3300, Jul 7, 2016
  7. Fuzyon

hades_leae

Well I never had a problem with my laptop battery, it's been the same one in my laptop for 3 years. Maybe your battery just had a defect that made it to where it would not last for more than 1 year or so.

I'd contact the manufacturer about it. That made me want to get a newer laptop because at the end of my first year, I thought my battery was going bad when the laptop started to reset itself, but it had nothing to do with the battery.

hades_leae, Jul 8, 2016
  8. Fuzyon

cluckeyo

I have always just left it plugged in all the time and I hear that is not the best way to do it. I got a long lasting battery with my new laptop, I am making the effort to let it discharge, and then recharge it. It's taking some getting used to.

cluckeyo, Jul 10, 2016
  9. Fuzyon

Fuzyon

Yup, I'm buying them straight from Acer because I called their support system and that's what they told me to do, and I don't think a knockoff brand would work with my laptop. Anyway, I think it's a common problem with gaming laptops like mine but Acer probably don't make the best batteries ever.

Fuzyon, Jul 10, 2016
  10. Fuzyon

acerme2

My laptop is Acer and it has so far lived to its promise of long battery life. It's almost 2 years old and can still pack power for 4.5 to 6 hours of use. It has been almost always plugged from day one because I don't want the battery to die on me when I'm working. I'm a writer and I use my laptop frequently for typing and researching. I intentionally allow it to drain occasionally though which I read is a good practice. Our company issues laptop to our sales reps and many of them complain that after six months of use, the batteries are no longer working and their laptops had to be plugged during sales presentation. One thing common about their usage is that they nearly always use their laptops unplugged until the battery is fully discharged.

acerme2, Aug 3, 2016
  11. Fuzyon

Elektron

Well, I personally think they shall be made to resist high temperatures and long charge periods, however, I also consider that your battery got messed up because as you said, you used to keep it plugged in for so long and you probably did not place any kind of cooling system underneath your device, it's quite important to install a cooling system to our laptops in order to enlighten the temperatures and make batteries and the whole system last longer with low temperatures, this is a common mistake that most people tend to do, always remember to use a cooling system, they could actually save your life and your laptop's as well.

Elektron, Aug 6, 2016
  12. Fuzyon

SirJoe

I have the same impression. I have a friend that has the exact same computer that I have and his battery is already showing signs of fatigue will mine is going strong and it's not as if he treats his computer any differently then what I do.

SirJoe, Aug 21, 2016
  13. Fuzyon

Aree Wongwanlee

I use to worry when my laptop gets hot. I can actually feel the heat coming up from where I rest my palms. So I bought a cooling pad. Things didn't seem to get any cooler. I could still feel the heat coming up from where I rest my palms. So I just ignored it. Apparently, the heat is normal because I have been using my laptop continuously for a few months now with that heat coming up and it's still working fine.

About that idea of removing the battery when the laptop is plugged in all the time for use at home, does it really make a difference?

Aree Wongwanlee, Aug 22, 2016
  14. Fuzyon

KimmyMarkks

My battery died after a year on my HP. I didn't take care of it because I always kept it plugged in. Its important not to let it keep charging all the time as it kills your battery. I then made the mistake of purchasing a cheap replacement. Well it lasted all of 3 months. I will always buy a replacement from a reputable source now. I won't make the same mistake twice. :(

KimmyMarkks, Sep 10, 2016
  15. Fuzyon

Aree Wongwanlee

I just did some reading up on how to prolong battery life. Apparently, we have to let it discharge every now and then. Not really sure how that helps to prolong the battery life. I am still following up on this. Anyone knows better?

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 11, 2016
Ask a Question