Baking A Laptop In The Oven To Repair It - Is This Real?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by OhioTom76, Mar 14, 2014.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76

I've heard of methods such as placing your phone in a container of rice for a few days if you've gotten it wet, but this sounds particularly crazy:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...r-extreme-troubleshooting-20140312-34lin.html

I'm still not entirely sure if this is some gag or not that the author is playing on all of us. In fact, the story gets even weirder (and gross) when it mentions that the technical issues he was having with his computer was due to ants crawling around inside his laptop and laying eggs.

Wouldn't it be safer to just put the laptop in the room that you normally use it, and just bug bomb the room? Apparently if he's got ants in his laptop, he's also likely got them running around his place as well.

OhioTom76, Mar 14, 2014
  2. OhioTom76

mikelouis

How did the ants get into the computer in the first place? That is just weird and sad. Just take good care of your laptop and I do not think there will be any issues about it being cooked before the ants get killed.

mikelouis, Mar 15, 2014
  3. OhioTom76

gadgetised

That is a really strange issue. I would not put anything like that in the oven in my opinion. You are just setting yourself up for a house fire. And I really doubt that would fix the problem anyway.

gadgetised, Mar 15, 2014
  4. OhioTom76

OhioTom76

I suppose its not that far fetched when you think about it. Many people eat while at their computers and in the process will spill sodas and food crumbs down into their keyboards. There are actually quite a few posts about literal bugs getting into people's computers if you do a search on Google for the topic.

Some of the other solutions I read, which sound much more sane, would be to place the laptop into a plastic bag along with some mothballs, and seal it. Then leave it be for a few days, then take it out and blow the computer parts real well with some canned air to remove the dead bug carcasses (eww!).

One thing that would really sell me on my next computer, would be if it specifically had an easy to clean keyboard. I would love a keyboard that I could just lift off all the keys at once and wipe underneath them to clean them.

OhioTom76, Mar 15, 2014
  5. OhioTom76

Sefie

Wow... how to bake a MAC! That guy gotta be kidding, because there is no way doing that to your MAC will be any good! By the way... how the heck the ants crawled inside the computer?? Why would they do that? Is this guy sane or just talking gibberish for the fun of it? LOL. This story indeed sounds odd! I really think this guy was joking!

Sefie, Mar 16, 2014
  6. OhioTom76

Mizzperdue

I don't think that's not real. I would never try this.

Mizzperdue, Mar 17, 2014
  7. OhioTom76

bobthemuffinman

It could be real, if you put it on a very low temperature you could re flow the solder and reconnect some connections. But I wouldn't try it.

bobthemuffinman, Mar 17, 2014
  8. OhioTom76

Jazma96

Well I don't think you should bake your laptop in the oven Inless you don't want it anymore.. I have never heard of this..

Jazma96, Apr 1, 2014
  9. OhioTom76

tygh12

Well I think this idea is crazy, because, well, who would bake their laptops? It would be highly likely that the ants would die, but also there is a great chance of your computer blowing up. Even if it doesn't explode, it would probably overheat or the hardware would melt (depending on the temperature). The last thing is that even if the ants die, have you thought about how the dead bodies of the ants and the remnants of the eggs would remain inside your laptop? I think you have got yourself into a sticky situation mate (How did the ants even get there in the first place?? O_O).

tygh12, Apr 1, 2014
  10. OhioTom76

Patrick Shah

Hey i believe it is something unorthodox which only a few could succeed. There are funny ways that people fix their laptops and technology gadgets.
    I have placed a link which showed a video someone actually baking their laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&hl=en-GB&v=G65-ncBxdHA

Patrick Shah, Apr 4, 2014
  11. OhioTom76

NeroFerk

I suggest you do not cause laptops are expensive now a days.Unless you like to burn stuff and do not care for it, then go right ahead.

NeroFerk, Apr 5, 2014
  12. OhioTom76

babyleans

that is really bizarre. please dont pay any attention to these weird methods of "repairing" appliances, they can be dangerous.

babyleans, Apr 8, 2014
  13. OhioTom76

maxparker0

I would certainly not do it. I'm not a big fan of unorthodox methods to fix things up.

maxparker0, Apr 12, 2014
  14. OhioTom76

mjhunter23

I don't think this would work. There are lots of weird solutions for water damage like covering it in rice etc. I once spilled water on my computer and it is pretty irreversible.

mjhunter23, Apr 12, 2014
  15. OhioTom76

deancollick

LOL Bake it and it's done. :)

deancollick, May 18, 2014
Ask a Question