Avoid this company like the plague

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ktot, Jul 17, 2009.

1. ktot

ktot

I had heard horrible things about Acer's non-support to customers out of warranty wanting, for example, simply to purchase a repair part but being told to use 900-fee phone numbers to do so or buy a $100+ support package.

Well, I just had a pre-purchase question as I needed to get the Aspire One to recognize an external Acer (note also Acer brand) LCD monitor in order to install software that required greater than 1024x600 resolution. The netbook recognized the desktop but wouldn't accept it as the primary monitor thus the needed software wouldn't install.

I tried every phone number I could find for Acer. Zero help, period.

So I submitted a question by email.

The reply: I'm OUT OF WARRANTY, so PAY for tech support! HUH? I just purchased the netbook--it is one day old and OUT OF WARRANTY???? Obviously not, but Acer won't even answer a simple pre-sales question.

AVOID THEM.

Note meantime I figured how to "trick" the netbook and get the software installed. The program works perfectly for my needs that require a very low power computer (thus the netbook). But I am RETURNING the netbook tomorrow due to Acer's absolute STUPIDITY and refusal to address pre-sales questions. If one can't reach anyone pre-sales, I shudder to think what happens after warranty.

Note I've been an IT expert for multiple decades. I don't want to show my age, but I remember wearing coats in computer rooms in mid-summer due to AC requirements...)

ktot, Jul 17, 2009
  2. ktot

garrovick

I have an external monitor by HP 1440 x 900 / 60 Hz, 0.282 mm, 5 ms. Runs at native resolution just fine. Just plugged in and setup.

garrovick, Jul 18, 2009
  3. ktot

ktot

Great :roll: , but that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the point being raised in this thread.

ktot, Jul 18, 2009
  4. ktot

DutchDK

Amazing that you've been an IT expert for multiple decades, and still haven't found out that level 1 tech-support sucks donkeyballs and normally comprises of either students reading from a script shown on a screen, or has been outsourced to a call center in mumbai, where they read from an engrish script on the screen. Incidently, I recall when you cussed worse than a sailor who got to the bar just after it closed, because you pushed the cart with the stacks of punchcards into the doorframe thereby making one box fall on the floor - 2 hours extra work getting the cards sorted back in order.

If you truely have been an IT expert for multiple decades, you should know that if you want an answer that works, for anything more technical than switching the machine on, you should right from the start ask to be escalated up to a level 2 technician.

Acer's techsupport, at least here in Europe, isn't worse than so many other companies. On the contrary, those few times I have had the need to contact Acer, their support has been quite good. But then again, I make sure (politely, but firm) that the level 1 tech-support I get hold of first, are aware that I know my shit, and he might as well escalate the call right away if he haven't got a solid knowledge about the subject in question.

DutchDK, Jul 18, 2009
  5. ktot

ktot

I won't respond to your inane BS but will just say 1) I know how to reach the right level of management support in companies and I do so with quality companies, but 2) it's easiest just to return the Acer garbage and buy another brand of netbook by a company I know provides quality support--after the garbage I went through with Acer as a potential, not even existing ("trapped!") customer.

And some computer hardware and software companies DO provide quality support. They may be the minority, but they understand the criticality of supporting what they make and sell. Obviously Acer is with those at the bottom of the barrel. They won't get my or my clients' business. :(

ktot, Jul 18, 2009
  6. ktot

donec

It's sad you had such poor response from Acer. I contacted Acer before ever buying an AA1 because I had some questions and the response I got was very helpful and informative. I also have had to contact Acer after buying an AA1 and have always gotten good information and service quickly.

With that said I personally think anyone makes the decision to buy based solely on the quality of the support is expecting trouble before buying and will most likely get what they expect. I prefer to research and try and find a product that is reported to not need the warranty (warranty's in my experience are designed to be useless) or other product support. The AA1 IMO is one of those well made products that generally do not need any service to do what it was designed except for the OS Linpus.

donec, Jul 18, 2009
  7. ktot

Rich in ILM

I would love to see a list of companies, that are at this kind of retail price point, and provide great service.

Don't even get me started on the IT people I dealt with. It was where good ideas went to die....

Rich in ILM, Jul 18, 2009
  8. ktot

ktot

I asume you mean companies at this price point that sell netbooks. Unfortunately I know of none--though I haven't researched MSI and Asus which seem to be the two main netbook companies I see lots of ads for these days (other than Acer).

But I'm thinking of one company in particular I've been dealing a lot with these past few weeks, regarding computer-based security products. They sell the hardware and software and their support so far has been excellent--by phone and by email. I hesitate to name them as at this point I'm holding my breath to see if their support continues. But, so far, they answer emails in a timely manner (and with direct and useful answers, not canned responses), and normally they pick up the phone for tech support quite quickly (and without requiring one to wade through way too many advertisements like too many companies require now before you can even select options). A couple times this week after being on hold maybe 15-30 seconds, I got a message asking me to leave a number for a call back. I don't normally like this as neither landline nor cell reaches my home, but I was out at the time so could leave my cell on. They did call back within a few hours and again provided very comprehensive information.

ktot, Jul 18, 2009
  9. ktot

RockDoctor

Let me see if I've got this right:
    1. You had a pre-purchase question regarding an Acer netbook
    2. Acer tech support failed to satisfactorily address your question, telling you you needed a $100 support contract.
    3, You purchased an Acer netbook anyway
    4. You figured out how to do what you wanted to do on your own, and it works
    5. You returned the netbook anyway, on Saturday, July 18, as intended.

RockDoctor, Jul 21, 2009
  10. ktot

ktot

Nope. You absolutely have this WRONG. No need to further elaborate as you are clearly trying to just be a pain in the ... not provide anything worthwhile. :(

ktot, Jul 23, 2009
  11. ktot

Rich in ILM

Which what to do with the discussion at hand? I think Rock Doctor's summary was spot on.
    A clear case of mixing gourmet cheese and Kraft single slice.
    And just for future reference being an IT guy doesn't carry much weight around here.
    For a lot of us that started with building PCs before there were any, IT guys were, mostly, scared to death and did just about anything to stem the tide of a PC on a desk.
    Just my opinion, I'm sure others vary grreatly.
    Anyway have a good day, I'm sure there are lots of other things that we would be in violent agreement on....

Rich in ILM, Jul 23, 2009
Ask a Question