AVG anti-virus is auto updating itself

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Corzhens, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

This is our problem with AVG which we have installed in our home desktop. It's pretty good as an anti-virus but the issue is the updating that it does even without our permission. Once we boot, it readily connects to its website to do some updating (this is not clear to us what it is doing). Take note that in the setting, the updating is manual so the user should be informed. And sometimes when the computer was running for a time already, the AVG is continually connecting to its website hence the computer slows down. We checked on this by pressing ctrl-alt-del and the status of the browser is so large in memory use when in fact the browser is just on a display of a web page.

For the AVG users here, do you have an issue like this?

Corzhens, Aug 21, 2016
  2. Corzhens

hades_leae

I also removed it, that was the only way for me to get it off. But now since I upgraded to W10, I don't really mess with it that much, it doesn't auto update on me like it used to. It does once in a while tell me to update it.

It's not a big deal because I always forget how long it's been, and just press the exit button.

hades_leae, Aug 22, 2016
  3. Corzhens

acerme2

That has never happened to our desktop probably because it does not connect automatically to the internet. :D I agree that AVG has been a let down lately but to have it update automatically each time you boot could be a real nuisance. Why not uninstall it and try another free anti-virus, or may be reinstall it again so that by that time your installation would contain the most recent updates.

acerme2, Aug 22, 2016
  4. Corzhens

cluckeyo

Mine updates daily, I think, that's to get the new virus definitions. New viruses are created daily, and in order to isolate them the definitions have to stay up to date. I really like AVG and I am going with the paid version. I had it on my old computer and it kept it clean and pristine.

cluckeyo, Aug 22, 2016
  5. Corzhens

Vash

Pretty sure most antivirus programs have the option for either auto update, or manual update. You need to change it in the settings if auto update annoy you so much.

To me, auto update is not annoying at all since it runs in the background and I can hardly notice it. If I have to do it manually, I might not get the latest updates on time.

Vash, Aug 26, 2016
Ask a Question