Average Life Cycle of a Laptop?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Dame6089, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Dame6089

Dame6089

What is the average length of a laptop? I have heard around 3-4 years, but I know people who have had them longer. My last laptop was 3 1/2 years old when it completely died on me. My current laptop is also 3 1/2 years old and I can see signs of it slowing down as well. Now I use my laptop everyday, which may cause it to not last. But in general, how long should a laptop actually last before it stops working due to various reasons?

Dame6089, Jun 7, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Dame6089

fcuco

That's difficult to tell, laptops are a combination of components that have varied lifespans, usually one of the first things to go are batteries. The life span of batteries is actually measured in cycles, not time, that's it, hoy many times has the battery been charged. (Unused batteries also degrade over time) So te question is, once the battery dies do you consider your laptop to be over and out?

fcuco, Jun 7, 2016
  3. Dame6089

Fuzyon

I've had a couple of laptops before my current one and they're still going strong, they're 10 and 7 years old respectively. The life cycle is highly dependant on the quality of the laptop and how much it was used throughout its life-span.
    I've had laptops die on me a couple of years after I bought them, it all comes down to the laptop.

Fuzyon, Jun 7, 2016
    IcyBC and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  4. Dame6089

Krissttina Isobe

I agree with Fuzyon because I've been reading about it and on the average laptops lasts about 3-5 years most articles say that I've been reading.

Krissttina Isobe, Jun 13, 2016
  5. Dame6089

Corzhens

It depends on the specific criteria of what you mean by life cycle. When it comes to hardware, I can say 5 years easily on a normal use without abuse, i.e. shutting off when not in use. When it comes to the software compatibility, it would be probably longer. However, if the timing is not good, for example the Windows 7 is not being upgraded to Windows 10, you may have difficulty in compatibility like requiring to add memory. For the entirety, my estimate would be 7years take or add a few years.

Corzhens, Jun 13, 2016
  6. Dame6089

vinaya

I am using my laptop since 7 years. I replaced the battery twice, troubleshoot once and still my machine is going fine. There is no problem in my laptop except is heats pretty fast. But there is an option to use cooling pad to solve my over heating problem. I guess, laptop can work fine for at least 7 years.

vinaya, Jun 13, 2016
  7. Dame6089

Dame6089

I will admit that i am pretty rough on my laptops. I use them every day and take them all over the place. I don't really feel too bad about how long they have both lasted for me considering how hard I use them. I am jealous that you have laptops that still function after being that old though! Good on you!

Dame6089, Jun 22, 2016
  8. Dame6089

IcyBC

My first laptop lasted me 7 years and I also used it every day, mostly for writing, and taking surveys. My second laptop was 2 years old when it started to have problem. If you know how to fix things inside the laptop or knowledgeable about its components, I am sure it will last longer.

IcyBC, Jun 25, 2016
  9. Dame6089

Vash

Most technicians might tell you a laptop should be replaced every two years, but it really depends.

I have just replaced my 7-year-old Dell Vostro 1500 in last October. The laptop had zero failure during its 7 years of heavy usage. And since it was my first laptop, so the average life span of (my) laptop is 7 years. :D

Vash, Jun 25, 2016
  10. Dame6089

Novelangel

I've kept one laptop since 2008. It has issues at times but it still functions. I've never even replaced the battery, but the poor thing does need to be plugged in all the time if I plan to use it for any length of time. Also, it has an extremely outdated operating system, which has difficulty configuring with the internet. I could update it but I more or less just use it occasionally now and mostly just for writing purposes. I'm curious to see how long my Compaq will last, even if it is more or less a desktop computer at this time.

Novelangel, Jun 26, 2016
  11. Dame6089

Fuzyon

Yeah, my old ones haven't got used that much because I didn't spend a lot of time on the computer back in the day, but my current one has been through hell. Now that I'm a programmer and freelance writer I'm on my laptop for the better part of my day, I've had to replace some of its parts already and the paint has gone off in a lot of spots. It's still going strong though! :p

Fuzyon, Jun 28, 2016
Ask a Question