Avast anti-virus

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Corzhens, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

When the license of our home desktop's anti-virus expired in 2015, we installed AVG, a free anti-virus downloadable from the internet. Quite okay except that the software updates itself every booting even if the setting is in manual and not in auto update. A few months ago, we installed Avast in place of AVG. It's okay with the update because it doesn't update itself with the manual setting. However, last week when we were uploading the camera, the camera's software wouldn't continue. It's a good thing that we suspected the anti-virus and we were correct. Avast was preventing the camera software from running. So now we are back with AVG.

Corzhens, Jul 22, 2016
  2. Corzhens

IcyBC

I have only used Avast, though I did tried AVG and found it heavier in loading time on my laptop before.

I wonder why both anti-virus doing things like that, and if there is another free one out there!

IcyBC, Jul 22, 2016
  3. Corzhens

obliviousme

Thanks for the info. I've only used Avast for a short time and that was a year ago, i thought it's good antivirus, however i found a more effective protection which is Eset. I didn't encounter this issue though but i'll keep this mind, this might come in handy.

obliviousme, Jul 22, 2016
  4. Corzhens

Fuzyon

Well I've been using Avast ever since I got my laptop and it has been doing pretty well. Your camera software probably looked fishy to Avast but it gives you an option to "let it slide". AVG is a good option too although I've heard it's not as responsive.

Fuzyon, Jul 22, 2016
  5. Corzhens

CarlosTL

I concur that Avast is rather annoying. They used to be good though but they've increasingly became a Symantec-type product constantly trying to confuse you into buying something.

I've recently gone with Malwarebytes + AVG combination...I am even thinking of getting rid of antivirus altogether and using just the Windows firewall+Malwarebytes.

CarlosTL, Jul 22, 2016
  6. Corzhens

vinaya

Most of the antivirus will do that.Every time you try to install a new program, your antivirus will try to block it. Even while checking the it is possible that your Antivirus will block some links. It happens to me all the time, however, I have never replaced my antivirus just because it does not allow me to use another device or program.

vinaya, Jul 22, 2016
  7. Corzhens

Novelangel

I have Avast installed on my computer as well and it does seem a bit quirky. There is some weird popup that comes on to the screen whenever I try to open a program. Whatever it is, it's from Avast and it seems to have no purpose whatsoever except to be annoying when I'm trying to work. Other than that however, I haven't had any trouble with Avast and it allowed me to download a new program from the internet with no hassles whatsoever. On my phone, however, Avast for Android was a pain in the neck. It slowed down the phone, drained the battery and caused a bunch of other issues to pop up as well. I got rid of it in a hurry.

Novelangel, Jul 25, 2016
  8. Corzhens

Corzhens

Another anomaly that my husband had discovered in Avast is the recording of audio. My husband composes songs and he records his compositions in the computer using a headset. But he was surprised when he tried to record and the mixer wouldn't appear. It was like his mic was not working. When he had uninstalled Avast, the recorder was again working. So that's strike 2... strike 1 was the camera uploader.

Corzhens, Jul 28, 2016
Ask a Question