audio recording on aspire 1

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by tivo, Sep 19, 2008.

1. tivo

tivo

Hi to you all!

id like to know if there's a way to record audio with the aspire one mic? cuz it seems to be working only on apps such as msn and skype..

thx!

tivo, Sep 19, 2008
  2. tivo

Marathon

You could try "arecord" from the command line there is also "aplay" and "amixer". Alternatively, try downloading "audacity".

Marathon

Marathon, Sep 20, 2008
  3. tivo

Ace_Rimmer

I use audacity for this and it works fine. Just install from Add/Remove Programs.

Ace_Rimmer, Sep 20, 2008
  4. tivo

tivo

everything works perfectly! thx a lot!

tivo, Sep 21, 2008
  5. tivo

gunstar

I've installed Audacity but it only allows me to record one track - this error pops up:

'Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate.'

Is there anything I can do to overcome this and record multiple tracks over each other?

gunstar, Sep 22, 2008
  6. tivo

Ace_Rimmer

Not sure I understand the question or the relationship between the one track issue and the error message.

However....

You might check edit / preferences / audio io and see if /dev/dsp is selected as the input device. You can also select how many channels to record.

As far as multiple tracks, Audacity should work as follows: press record to lay down a track. Stop and then record again and it will lay down a second track in parallel with the first, etc.

Is this what you are asking about? If not, maybe you can give further info so we can try to help out.

Ace_Rimmer, Sep 25, 2008
  7. tivo

Fuerst

installing audacity seems to have f...d up my package-manager

Fuerst, Sep 25, 2008
  8. tivo

gunstar

That's exactly the problem I'm having; audacity won't let me lay down a parallel track as:

'Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate.'

appears every time I do. Any idea why this might be the case? (Thanks for the reply by the way!)

gunstar, Sep 27, 2008
  9. tivo

dusty1

Am having the same problemo ....aaaargh..... is there any way to get audio playback on videos recorded using internal mic and webcam? Skype works perfectly......

cheers..

dusty1, Sep 28, 2008
  10. tivo

Ace_Rimmer

Sorry, this one has me stumped, too. Based on the error message all I can suggest to to go through the Audacity preferences and see if you can find anything that is set wrong.

Regarding the web-cam, there have been many postings here regarding no audio recorded when recording video, so it appears that this behavior is "normal" for this device.

Ace_Rimmer, Sep 28, 2008
  11. tivo

gunstar

Thanks for that - I'll keep at it and see if there's anything that will make it work!

gunstar, Sep 29, 2008
  12. tivo

Guest Guest

To get audacity-nonfree to work correctly do this:

If you have not installed it yet open a terminal and:
    Code:
    sudo yum install audacity-nonfree
    In the same terminal window, type:
    Code:
    sudo audacity
    Click the OK buttons without changing anything. I think there are a total of 3. The Last OK says something like
    Audacity will close and you will be back at the terminal window.
    If you are going to use the older "Audacity (older 1.2.3-beta)" you will need to also do this:
    Code:
    sudo audacity13
    As before, click the OK buttons without changing anything.
    Close the terminal window and start Audacity as you normally would. Audacity will now record both L/R channels instead of just the L. And you will be able to record more than one track without getting this error:
    HTH

VVarwick

Guest, Oct 2, 2008
  13. tivo

pablo2340

HTH

VVarwick[/quote:d4mt9yg7]

I decided to try this, having failed by any other method to get Audacity installed with the ability to load mp3 files (even though it was able to export as mp3). However, the installation failed with an error message something like "libmp3labs (****) from one version of a library conflicts with the same file from another version" - so I looked to see what version of the library was installed, and proceeded to uninstall it. I noticed that it would also uninstall VLC, which I hade previously installed using the method given by macles in http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/11/inst ... linux.html. I then installed Audacity successfully using this method, then went back and re-installed VLC using macles's method. Then a curious thing happened: I found TWO entries for Audacity in the xfce menu: one called "Audacity", the other "Audacity (older version 1.3 something)" - the plain "Audacity" link caused problems (kept telling me that it could not find a temporary directory, and when I tried to choose one, telling me it could not write to that directory). However the "Older version" link works perfectly (will open mp3 files, etc.), as does VLC. The moral seems to be: if you want both programs, install Audacity first, then VLC.

Now the question is: can I delete the non-working link to Audacity? There are two distinct desktop files have been created, one called audacity.desktop, the other something like audacity13.desktop. I wonder will I succeed by deleting one of them? If not, I'll just have to put up with the situation and ignore the plain "Audacity" link...

*UPDATE*
    There are also two distinct executable files in /usr/bin - I have deleted the plain "Audacity" executables and desktop files, and now I have only one link!

pablo2340, Dec 22, 2008
Ask a Question