Audio player with proper power management support

Discussion in 'Linux' started by kevin, Sep 30, 2008.

1. kevin

kevin

...Doesn't seem too much to ask :/

What I want is an audio player that will prevent the AA1 going to sleep _whilst playing_ and allow it to sleep otherwise. So, for example, if I set it to play a bunch of MP3s, if it gets to the end of the list and I don't do anything, I want the AA1 to go to sleep. A £20 pocket MP3 player can do this, for Goodness' sake :(

I've tried a bunch of Linux apps, and none does it properly. With XMMS, for example, the AA1 will go to sleep in the middle of playback, if the sleep time is reached. mplayer and VLC both seem to prevent the unit going to sleep, but both prevent it even when nothing is playing. mplayer is particularly broken in this respect -- once you've run it, power-saving screen blanking is completely disabled until you reboot.

So: does anybody know of a Linux media player that does this properly: prevent suspend while playing, allow it otherwise; allow screen blanking during audio playback, prevent it during video.

I don't to have to write my own audio player just to get this basic functionality :/

kevin, Sep 30, 2008
Ask a Question