Audio driver, microphone problem

Discussion in 'Windows' started by lupusthethird, Mar 28, 2009.

1. lupusthethird

lupusthethird

Well, I need a Line-in so I can feed some audio through my AA1's speakers... so I was thinking I'd use the microphone. Normally, on any PC or laptop, if you look into the audio settings, Microphone shows up under the OUTPUT, so you can echo it to your speakers. (Sorry if i'm not explaining this right)

Basically, in Windows volume control, where the bars for "Master" "Stereo Mix" "Wave" and "CD Audio" are... normally there is also a line for Microphone. It's also normally muted, so that your microphone doesn't play back on your speakers.

On my AA1, with the Realtek drivers installed from Acer's site... it's not showing up there. There has to be some way to echo the microphone. Anyone know some software that can do so, or of a hacked driver?

lupusthethird, Mar 28, 2009
  2. lupusthethird

lupusthethird

Update:

I've done some googling and this seems to be a common issue with Acer and Realtek drivers. For certain chipsets you can go into the registry, at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

There, depending on the version of the driver, there are keys like "EnableMicPlayback" and such.

But I've poked around in the registry for the current Realtek driver and found nothing like that. If anyone else wants to take a look and see if you find a way, please tell me. I'm willing to downgrade to a lower version of the Realtek driver if it lets me fix this.

3. lupusthethird

jackluo923

UM... the reason why you're not seeing "microphone" under the output section is because micronphone is an input device. It's under the input section, not output.

You can use free programs(audacity) or if you prefer paid (adobe soundbooth, adobe audition, protools) to capture sound streams from the sound card. No microphone required.

jackluo923, Mar 28, 2009
  4. lupusthethird

lupusthethird

I know that.

Capturing audio is fine. My microphone (the internal acer) works fine.

My problem is, I want to be able to hear what is being input. Like a studio monitoring speaker.

To do this normally, you go under the output settings and allow the Microphone to show up under it, and then unmute it. Go on any PC and you can do this. Then talk into your microphone, and you can hear yourself talking out of your speakers as you do so. THATS what I want.

5. lupusthethird

jackluo923

There's a noise-cancellation feature in the Realteck audio deck thing. Disable it.

Also, when you're capture the audio, you can select "allow feed back" or something like that. Then the software will route the input back to the ouput port. You can use the speaker or connect it to studio monitor to listen to your input.

Beware of feedback though.

jackluo923, Mar 28, 2009
  6. lupusthethird

lupusthethird

I'm not seeing anything like that in the Realtek settings program. Do you know where I can change that?

7. lupusthethird

jackluo923

It's called acustic echo cancellation in the realteck hd audio module under microphone tab.

The "allow feed back" settings are in your audio capturing software.

jackluo923, Mar 29, 2009
Ask a Question