Attach SSD MTRON MOBI 3000 1.8'' ???

Discussion in 'Storage' started by cybersungtae, Feb 1, 2009.

1. cybersungtae

cybersungtae

Hi everybody,

I need HELP.

i have bought a 1.8'' MTRON MOBI 3000 SSD. The SSD is twice bigger than the original ssd... the probleme is how to attach it to the case.

Does anybody have a Mtron inside his AAO 110 to tell me what to do? If somebody can help me it will be very kind..

Thanks in advance

Hervé

cybersungtae, Feb 1, 2009
  2. cybersungtae

EEEves

Hello,

I'm french so I don't speak very well english.

But, I think it's possible to paste it with anti-static scotch in 1 anti-static bag, it must be ok. I have seen it in few forums in France for HDD and no problem since, I think it will be better an easier with SSD.

May I ask you to show us the atto test result for your SSD, I'm very interesting in buying this SSD (MSD-PATA3018).

Many thanks in advance. I hope it will help you.

EEEves, Feb 1, 2009
  3. cybersungtae

cybersungtae

Hello,

I have an idea. I will level the bottom of the case where there was the srew for the original ssd... Mtron ssd didn't fit into the case.

After i sandpaper the bottom.
    I stick Velcro( which have the exact size of the ssd) to the bottom of the case and on a face of the ssd case.
    Like this i can remove the Ssd if needed.i try and and show you the pictures after

Hervé

4. cybersungtae

ca6

I used servo tape from and old RC car project, after filing down two screw connectors and some small flanges.

but my A110 wont detect the Mtron :( hopefully it's just a damaged ZIF cable

ca6, Feb 1, 2009
  5. cybersungtae

cybersungtae

I had to do the same... everything's fine except the zif cable... it's too short!!! damnit!!! i have to buy it. I have found 15 cm long on zif cable on ebay.
    Waiting to connect... but evrything looks fine...

I made picture of every step i made.

If everything works fine... i will post it.

Hervé

6. cybersungtae

ca6

I intended to do this, but in my case, the velcro was too thick and I would've had to force the mobo which I didn't want to...otherwise velcro was a very good idea.

This is what my A110 looks like:

[attachment=2:1z0vpqyk]n549338342_2093969_5241.jpg[/attachment:1z0vpqyk]
    [attachment=1:1z0vpqyk]n549338342_2093970_5552.jpg[/attachment:1z0vpqyk]
    [attachment=0:1z0vpqyk]n549338342_2093971_5821.jpg[/attachment:1z0vpqyk]

ca6, Feb 2, 2009
  7. cybersungtae

champagj

Thank you all for the hints, the pictures and the feedback!

I just completed the update of my 110L with the Mtron mobi3000 32G 1.8 SSD.

I'd like to report that the existing zif cable did work for me. It is somewhat confusing but to be clear, the contacts on the zif cable must be facing up when connecting the cable to the SSD. When looking at the drive and connecting the cable, you should see the gold contacts.

I mounted the drive with double-sided sticky "foam" providing adhesion and shock absortion. There is enough clearence to do the same on top of the drive to "space" it from the motherboard.

No specific tests yet, but the machine is noticeably faster already.

I'd like to know what others have done with the new space: I just restored my latest backup which "reinstalled" the original 8G with swap, leaving me at 24G un-partitioned which I will use with VirtualBox to run XP as a virtual machine.

It's definitely an "investment" for hardcore enthusiaste.

With the extra speed and storage the one will now become my primary laptop when travelling for business so I guess its worth the extra $$$.

champagj, Feb 3, 2009
  8. cybersungtae

cybersungtae

Thanks for your picture... we did excactly the same.
    But i have a MTRON MOBI 3000 16 Gb not 32... i think 16Gb is thinner than 32Gb. As I said, I stick velcro on the SSD and on the bottom of the case.. and to avoid contact between SSD and the motherboard ( they are very close) i stick a little piece of an old T-shirt on the upper side of the SSD.

And i don't have enough place to put the SSd in the same way as you did my ZIF connctor stay on the right...
    so unfortunatly for me :x i had to order longer ZIF cable.

cybersungtae, Feb 4, 2009
Ask a Question