Atheros WiFi Adapter problems

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by badger1000, Jul 21, 2009.

1. badger1000

badger1000

Hi,
    I am having an intermittent problem with the Atheros wireless network adapter in my Aspire One 1GB 120GB Win XP Pro machine. It's listed as model no. AR5007EG.
    I can be browsing without a problem for an hour or so and then I will get the message 'Cannot Find Server' and no web pages will load. My desktop and mobile phone can both connect without problems at this time. Sometimes if I click right click the icon in the systray and click 'repair' then the problem is resolved, other times several re-boots are required. On some occasions after a re-boot the Atheros wireless network adapter is missing from the Device Manager Network adapters list and takes several re-boots to re-appear. This is really hit and miss and is very frustrating. The driver is version is 7.6.0.260 14/08/2008, I did find a 7.6.0.264 but this didn't solve the problem so I rolled back to 7.6.0.260 as this is the version on the Acer website. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Jason.

badger1000, Jul 21, 2009
  2. badger1000

Rich in ILM

Couple of things. Go into the configuration of the wireless card and turn off power saving. Also make sure you don't have the underneath vent holes blocked. It seems the first thing affected by heat is the WiFi card.

Rich in ILM, Jul 21, 2009
  3. badger1000

wozofoz

You read my diary :eek: :)

I have been using Atheros 7.6.1.244 (25th February 09) for about one week now and have no problems with it. I do still get the 'blank' (as I call it, like a blank stare) from time to time but after endless tips and tests I am sure this is to do with the connection (public wifi, which I have no control over)
    The Atheros driver is @
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWOR ... 1244.shtml

There is also a Batch File called Release/Renew that seems to help when I get the 'blank' and it's easier/quicker than Repair. I have created a shortcut to Release/Renew and put the shortcut in the Start Menu for easy access.
    Just launch the Batch File.
    Read about and download Release/Renew @
    http://mintywhite.com/tech/vista/fix-in ... ase-renew/

Also, because I always use WiFi never a cable I eventually disabled the 'Local Area Connection' mainly to get rid of the icon from the SysTray. This seems to have helped but it's hard to tell when these problems randomly come and go.

I have gone from getting the 'blank' every hour to only twice a day and it's usually fixed by running Release/Repair.
    I am thankfull for small mercies :)

Other stuff you may want to read up on.
    Note: I don't know if they are safe and I am not saying they are 'fixes'

Repair Windows XP TCP Network Settings With WinSock XP Fix Utility
    http://www.watchingthenet.com/repair-wi ... ility.html

Auto Repair Network Connection.exe
    File description: Automatically Repair Network Connection every 60 second's in the background
    File size: 94 KB
    http://megaupload.com/?d=HJDU7Y9M

TCPOptimizer
    http://www.speedguide.net/tcpoptimizer.php

I don't know why this is happening, it's never happened to me :?:
    Good luck :)

All the best, woz of oz

wozofoz, Jul 22, 2009
  4. badger1000

badger1000

Thank you so much for your time. I will try everything you suggested, the power save option looks like it could be a good idea.

Kind regards,

Jason.

badger1000, Jul 22, 2009
  5. badger1000

badger1000

Unfortunately it's still the same. I have had to repair the connection twice in the time it's taken me to load this page and type this post!

Very annoying.

badger1000, Jul 29, 2009
  6. badger1000

kaldek

Hi there,

This problem occurs on many systems with this wifi card. Apparently the card is faulty, some people say, and Acer has replaced them on occasion under warranty.

Anyway the problem doesn't happen in Linux usually, as the drivers are different and don't seem to let the problem occur. Personally, mine came with Linux and was fine, I converted it to run a custom Linux (Gentoo) and it was also fine.

Yesterday I installed a 32GB SSD and converted to Windows XP, and the wireless card immediately started malfunctioning. Connections were always listed as active but I could not reach the network at all. It would not work immediatley after booting and would need to be disconnected and reconnected using the switch on the front of the chassis. If I then let the network sit idle for even a couple of minutes, the problem would happen again. None of the power saving settings fixed the problem for me.

I fixed the problem permanently by installing a September, 2008 version of the Atheros 5006X (not 5007EG) driver. It has been rock solid for a few hours now, without needing to change any of the power saving settings. This is Windows XP I'm talking about here! The driver version was "xp3264-7.6.1.184-whql" and I found it over at http://www.atheros.cz.

I have also purchased an Intel 4965AGN min PCI-e card to replace the Atheros, as I have an 802.11n network at home. The fact that Atheros can't seem to release a driver that works for the correct hardware model does not fill me with confidence either, so the replacement card to me is a good deal at $25 delivered! Of course it's worth noting that I voided the warranty on my Aspire One when I replaced the SSD with a 32GB unit, so I have never bothered to ask Acer for any support.

kaldek, Aug 5, 2009
  7. badger1000

FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild, Aug 5, 2009
Ask a Question