At what point do I buy a new battery?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by typist88, Dec 15, 2015.

1. typist88

typist88

Ok so my screen tends to freeze periodically; yes I know it's super bad for the laptop (I have an ASUS notebook). I don't know how to make the freezing stop but I think it's what totally fried my battery. I'm unable to use the laptop for longer than say, 5 minutes? Or even that long without it just completely dying and going black. There's not even a warning screen anymore indicating that the battery is low, it just blacks out. So... is this a battery problem or something else too with the hard drive?

typist88, Dec 15, 2015
  2. typist88

something back

It sounds like it is over heating, try looking at the vents for a build up of fluff.

Please list your model number,and operating system along with your reply

something back, Dec 15, 2015
  3. typist88

typist88

Ok thanks. I took a print screen so I'm attaching it here. Operating system: Windows 10. Model number: ASUS Notebook K73SD/K73E/K73SV Series. I should actually add this info into a signature, so I'll go check to see if I can do that yet.

I really think the shutting down might have something to do with the hard drive. But I guess the only way to know for sure is by process of elimination right? By getting a new battery and seeing if that fixes the immediate shutdown situation when operation on only the battery.

Attached Files:

typist88, Dec 16, 2015
  4. typist88

something back

It's going to be a bit of trial, and error to pin it down,
    you can run your laptop without the battery.

Try this, and see if the problem persists.

A virus could cause the machine to close, also a lost file in the operating system can.

You are right a faulty hard drive also could.

You could download this program it's called Aomei Partition Assistant.

Do a disk surface test

Here's a link to it.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/search.php?query=Aomei+Partition+Assistant&B1.x=0&B1.y=0&boolean=exact

something back, Dec 16, 2015
    typist88 likes this.
  5. typist88

typist88

Ok thanks so much for all this information. I downloaded the program and ran the surface test and it was all ok. Is there another scan from this program that you would suggest I run? I'm not familiar with these types of scans.

I think the Virus scans are all up to date and I'm not sure how I would check for a lost file in the operating system? I run routine cleaners like the CCleaner and a registry one called JetClean almost daily. Periodically I do SuperAntiSpyware and a couple other anti-malwares. So this is helpful anyways to learn about a new kind :). thanks.

typist88, Dec 17, 2015
  6. typist88

something back

It just may be that jet clean has removed a file, to rectify this,

Go to the settings, UPDATE AND SECURITY, then RESTORE then RESET THIS PC.

If the surface scan found nothing then the hard drive is fine.

something back, Dec 17, 2015
  7. typist88

typist88

Ok thanks for this. I think you mean in the RESCUE CENTER in the SETTINGS area? There it gives the option to undo the changes or visit the system restore. I'm not sure I'd want to do this.

How would I go about finding a lost file in the Operating System? I've had this problem for over a year now so I just make sure that I'm plugged in at all time and the laptop works ok then. I feel like maybe only by getting a new battery will fix this. Or, perhaps, the lost file issue but I'm not sure how to go about locating it.

typist88, Dec 22, 2015
  8. typist88

something back

The method I described was to allow windows 10 to refresh your operating system,but
    keep your files intact. This will hopefully replenish the missing files.

I was not suggesting a restore to an earlier point.

This program called ( whocrashed ) will write a log file indicating a conflict if found.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/search.php?query=WhoCrashed&B1.x=26&B1.y=8&boolean=exact

At the end of the day it may well turn out to be related to the battery, it's a suck it, and see thing.

something back, Dec 22, 2015
  9. typist88

Rezonate

Well first you have to determine to see if it's the battery in the first place. One time I thought it was but it was thr internal power jack that was lose and wasn't holding a charge and wasn't the battery all along. So diagnose the problem first and once you've done that you can go from there.

Rezonate, Dec 29, 2015
  10. typist88

Raider19

I have always waited until my battery died in order to buy a new one. This process has never caused lost work, productivity or has hurt the computer. As long as you have a cord to plug your computer into then this practice will work for you also. No sense in spending money on a new battery if you have one that works.

Raider19, Mar 9, 2016
Ask a Question