Asus X512DA boot failure

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Louisdo, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Louisdo

Louisdo

Hi All,
    This is my first post, so be gentle :).
    My wife has a 3 year old Asus Vivo book that started having random boot failures about 12 months ago. It would be OK for a couple of weeks, then sometimes boot straight into the bios. Recently, it had started becoming more frequent. We used to sort of get round it by enabling/disabling fast boot, then it eventually booted into the O/S. Finally, it gave up the ghost. The bios couldn't detect a bootable drive any more, and we were left with a brick. I assumed that the M.2 drive had failed. This week, I bought a new SSD, and did all of the initialisation/formatting etc. I updated the bios to the latest level and created a USB media creation drive. When I attempted to boot from the USB to start the installation, it went straight back to the bios. The bios can detect the USB as a bootable drive, and it can see the new M.2 drive. I have selected the USB as the 1st boot option, and also tried starting the laptop by first pressing the escape key, to boot from the USB. I have also disabled secure boot. Nothing seems to work. I am stuck.
    Any reasonable suggestions would be welcome.

Louisdo, Feb 25, 2023
  2. Louisdo

Invictus

Hello, Louisdo!

I have had similar issue with a windows bootable USB created with Microsoft's own media creation tool. The desktop just couldn't see it. So what I did was download the windows iso with the same tool on my hard drive, but created the bootable USB with Rufus and it worked.

Invictus, Mar 25, 2023
  3. Louisdo

Louisdo

Hi Invictus,
    Thanks for the advice. I managed to get it working, in the end, but I can't work out how . The annoying thing is I bought another laptop, thinking that this one was dead. So, now we have a spare.

Louisdo, Mar 25, 2023
Ask a Question