Asus laptop Strange problem please help!!!

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Anil kumar, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Anil kumar

Anil kumar

hello please anyone help with my asus k55A laptop that is having strange issue.
    I push the power on button and the laptop doesn't do nothing.
    No lights, no sound, nothing.
    The battery and the charger are both ok.
    The only way I'm able to power on the laptop again is the next strange procedure:
    - I disconnect the charger and I remove the battery.
    - I push the power on button around 45-60 seconds.
    - I have to wait sometimes for at least 8 hours (before it is used to be 3 hrs) hours.
    And after 8 hours when I push the power on button. The laptop works again and everything is ok.
    I searched the problem for a couple of days in google and some other computer forums But I don't find a good solution (waiting 8 hours to power on is not a solution)
    please anyone give me solution how to resolve this issue..any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks :)

Anil kumar, Aug 26, 2013
  2. Anil kumar

something back

It's only guess at this stage, your computer is suffering from the same problem acer computers suffer, a static charge being held in the ram. If this is the problem then it only needs you to remove the ram then refit the same ram. It's got to be worth a try? Here'a a link to youtube on how to remove the ram [ame]

something back, Aug 26, 2013
  3. Anil kumar

Anil kumar

thank you

thank you for the reply...tried that still the machine not even powering ON no lights no fans spins no led indicators.i even tried removing both the RAM as well as the HDD.the machine acts as if there is no power to it.but again it works after 8 hours.very strange :(

Anil kumar, Aug 27, 2013
  4. Anil kumar

something back

A couple of new suggestions, a laptop can fail to start, from the start either because the fans not switching on fast enough due to a dust/dirt build up have you checked the vent for blockages. In very rare occasions the bios may need to be updated or the CPU thermal paste needs replacing , an older machine may need a new motherboard battery, or a virus may be stopping it, windows from time to time can play up, you may have a faulty on off switch and finally the master boot record can be corrupted. All suspects sorry to say. Try to restore to a earlier date sometimes this can work.

something back, Aug 27, 2013
  5. Anil kumar

Anil kumar

Thanks for the response !!! yes i tried cleaning the fan vents and there is no dust. when i try to update the BIOS it says it's already up to date.if it virus means at least the laptop should power ON without hard drive (it has NO power Completely DEAD no led light indicators). the only solution i found is turning off the laptop in "SLEEP MODE" rather than shutting down. :(. so that it can stand up the power.if i turn it OFF now again t won't turn on upto 8 hours.

Anil kumar, Aug 27, 2013
  6. Anil kumar

Anil kumar

as per your advice i will try re-installing the cpu thermal compound once and i will update thanks :)

Anil kumar, Aug 27, 2013
  7. Anil kumar

something back

Yes agreed, you should always be able to power up into the motherboard settings at least. You say the you have to shut down in "SLEEP MODE" is that a windows "SLEEP MODE" or a motherboard "SLEEP MODE" ? If windows "SLEEP MODE" then I would suggest a software problem is stopping you. Another harddrive say with linux on a dvd running from the dvd and not installing should prove test the computer.

8. Anil kumar

Anil kumar

Yes Sleep Mode in Windows it self.right now i am typing on this same ASUS laptop which was not shutted down for 3 days. i will run with another hard drive with linux. do corrupted BIOS also symptoms the same issue? will BIOS chip controls the laptop power Sequency.right now i am typing on this same ASUS laptop which was not shutted down for 3 days.

Anil kumar, Aug 27, 2013
  9. Anil kumar

Anil kumar

Update: New symptom for the laptop.the laptop is able to power ON normally and working fine when the motherboard is out chassis too strange :-o.When i install everything back the motherboard is installed in to the chassis again the same issue (have to wait for 8 hrs).when the motherboard is out of the chassis the laptop is powering ON normally..help me out what do you think? thanks

seems like the motherboard is touching the laptop chassis somehow and making short.i removed the motherboard out of the chassis and i observed the laptop chassis on one area near DC jack we can sense burning smell on the Chassis.And also when i unscrew the screws which are near to the dc jack on the chassis i laptop is powering ON with no problem.is there any way i can fix this short between the chassis? and please tell me what causes this short? and i forget to say that my laptop used to give a little bit of shock when we touch the aluminium body as if the charge is flowing on our fingers when we touch when it is connected to AC adapter.but i didn't bothered about it much.do you think this is the reason for the Short? thanks once again.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    Anil kumar, Aug 27, 2013
  10. Anil kumar

something back

FROM WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IT'S A SHORT between the chassis and board, OR it could be a dry joint on the motherboard that’s affected when screwed to the chassis, TRY leaving out one screw at a time when reassembling until it works you will then know which side the problem is . See you have solved it yourself. Explanation only! NOW Basic Input/Output System “BIOS” Well yes it controls all the hardware functions on a computer, a virus affected or faulty bios will cause problems. There are specific viruses written to affect a bios instruction.

11. Anil kumar

Anil kumar

Thanks for the reply!!! seems like the motherboard is touching the chassis somehow making it short.i see that on the chassis when i taken the motherboard out.There i can sense burning smell on the chassis.i think the motherboard is shorting with the chassis.
    if i unscrew the motherboard on that burning area the laptop is working with no problem.so how do i eliminate this short? and please tell me what are the reason for this short?.And i also forget to say that before the laptop used to get a shock like a charge is flowing through the fingers when we touch the aluminium body.but i didn't bothered about it much!!!

Anil kumar, Aug 27, 2013
  12. Anil kumar

something back

ELECTRICITY CAN KILL. Until a PROFESSIONAL ELECTRICAL ENGINEER finds the short circuit, I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO STOP USING THE COMPUTER. PLEASE DON'T USE IT,IT'S NOT WORTH IT. A short circuit could have many forms, a loose or wrong size screw could be the cause, a power cable that’s faulty, one board touching another part or chassis PLUS MANY OTHER REASONS YOU SAY YOU CAN SMELL BURNING Don't use it please!! ELECTRICITY CAN KILL AND DOES.

something back, Aug 29, 2013
  13. Anil kumar

something back

ANIL You have me worried, please get the laptop checked by an electrician. Promise me you will,before using it.

something back, Aug 29, 2013
  14. Anil kumar

Anil kumar

Thank you Thank you :) i will be taking the laptop today to a professional.i will let you know what't wrong with it.i am not using it right now packed everything in box for taking to a professional :).

Anil kumar, Aug 30, 2013
Ask a Question