Asus A54H-SO103D upgrading

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Dedix, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Dedix

Dedix

Hey all!

I've got a notebook mentioned above.

I'm wondering if there's possible to upgrade it's memory from stock 4GB to 8GB, and it's stock cpu i3-2350M to a 4th or 5th generation i5 quad?
    I've been doing a research via google for this issue, but I can't find obvious answer. Some says it's possible, others says this model only can handle a total of 4 gigs RAM. It has one slot 4GB DDR3-1333 module sitting in it.

Sticker on back says:

Model: A54H
    ID: 5k
    C1N0AS493081053

A54HR-SO103D
    Check Number: 4120

Thanks in advance.

Dedix, Jun 3, 2016
  2. Dedix

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Regarding your 4 Gb of RAM - if you go to Crucial.com to check...if you cannot find your Laptop model using their Search facility... you CAN download their App which, when run, will scan your Laptop and then recommend a value of RAM to upgrade to - or tell you that the current RAM is soldered in and is not upgradeable...

Regarding your CPU - 99% of CPU's are hard soldered to the Motherboard these days (on Laptops) this avoids problems caused by heat creep - where the (Unsoldered) Cpu used to work its way out of the socket... causing many wild and wierd problems.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jun 4, 2016
  3. Dedix

nytegeek

99% is an exaggeration to be sure. It is more common then it was a few years ago, but certainly not as common as you would like us to believe.

nytegeek, Jun 26, 2016
  4. Dedix

Brian8gbSSDLinux

We are talking about Laptops here
    Components are usually made by One or two Companies in Taiwan to specifications requested by the Big Names of Computing.... I used to work for an Importer in Oman which was the distributor for many of the 'so called' Big Names, but they only ASSEMBLED and sold on their very expensive Laptops.
    Their motto was 'Why waste money on R&D when someone else will do it all for you!'
    The only Laptops where one can normally upgrade the CPU are Gaming Laptops

Anything else has it soldered onto the Mobo because Manufacturers want customers to be 100% happy with their equipment not keep getting them sent back for repair.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jun 28, 2016
  5. Dedix

nytegeek

Yet there are many laptops on the market today which do not qualify as gaming laptops and do not have a cpu soldered to the board. I'm still going to call your 99% comment a gross exaggeration of things because it us. There are a large amount of boards with soldered cpu's, but the ones that aren't are not restricted to gaming systems.

nytegeek, Jul 1, 2016
Ask a Question