asus 1215b or acer 522?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by kdskamal, Mar 22, 2011.

1. kdskamal

kdskamal

I have my eyes on the AMD C50 powered Acer 522 netbook. What I have come to gathered so far is that the chip is able to handle all graphic related stuff with ease, but not much has been said about the 1GHz processor. These guys have posted a review of Asus 1215B which has the same specs as AO522.

So, should I get one and if yes which one - Asus or Acer? Too bad, Acer is not offering the chip in a 12 inch netbook.

kdskamal, Mar 22, 2011
  2. kdskamal

casemods

I gotta say, Asus has my support over acer.

I've had a long term asus 1005ha and a short term T101MT.

Both were literally one cover and screw away from the RAM.

I took the entire netobook apart and cannot get to the RAM still (AO522-BZ897)

Plays 1080p lady gaga - telephone downloaded from youtube @ constant 50fps in windows media player after downloading codecs. I was testing 1080p with youtube, which is BAD because of the FLASH of youtube.

Not sure if the codecs helped or not.

The AO522-BZ897 plays counter strike source on decent settings with no AA on surf maps (the only maps I play, and also more intensive than any other game mode)

The AO522-BZ897 is light and thin, gets decent battery life, has an HDMI port, and has DDR3 (4gb capable)

The only thing I don't like about it is the trackpad and mouse buttons. It seems to slow the mouse down once you get to the outer edges, and the buttons are very hard to press.

I still have the 1gb stick, so I wonder how the 4gb stick will do! Technically, I only have 700mb or so of ram since it's sharing some with the video card or something (not sure)

Even on 32bit windows 7 ultimate, it will only see 3.2gb or or something. Then around 3gb even when you factor in the shared ram. Still, 3gb DDR3 for a netbook with a dual core CPU is great.

It runs google earth VERY well, no stuttering at all. This is more of a business/school netbook since it has the HDMI for projectors and the higher graphics capability.

Let me know if there are any programs you want benched on the 1gb before I receive the 4gb stick and install it. But, you should get the 4gb no matter what...

Also, I opened it up and they only have one speaker in it. They got lazy, and just didn't install the right one. Not sure why. Probably can order the second one. It will fit right in.

I'm still figuring out how to install the RAM. Also, if you want to upgrade the wireless card to get packet injection to work in linux, you also have to take the motherboard out, which I have yet to figure out (it's underneath the motherboard)

[​IMG]

casemods, Mar 31, 2011
  3. kdskamal

matts1

I have the AO522.. Having been a diehard intel fan I have to say this is the one that has converted me, at least compared to the Atom processor. I upgraded to 2GB and installed Win7 Pro 64bit. Probably in the future I will add 4GB and an SSD.

There are a few videos on youtube about replacing the HDD and the Ram. But, the gist is there are tabs along the top and sides of the keyboard that you have to undo and then pop the keyboard off(the connector for the keyboard is at the bottom on the back of the keyboard so be careful when you are pulling it up. You can leave it attached i Then unscrew the 4 screws that are labeled with a 1 near them. Then there is a small hole in the corner of the hard drive where you stick a screwdriver into and put force on it and it will pop the back cover off. The videos make it sound like its fairly easy but when i pushed through that hole only some of the back plate would come up so you have to help it along to get it off.. But after that its pretty straightforward because the memory/wifi/HD is all right there.

Tip: The keyboard can easily be bent in the process of undoing the tabs so try not to pull up on one side of the keyboard to much, even though you will have to a certain extent to get it off.

Also there is a full review of the Aspire One 522 here: http://liliputing.com/2011/03/acer-aspi ... eview.html

matts1, Apr 1, 2011
  4. kdskamal

casemods

Cool, thanks! I already figured it out though and made a how-to.

casemods, Apr 1, 2011
  5. kdskamal

jaytcsd

If the Acer has 1 'stereo' speaker, does the Asus have 2 mono speakers?

jaytcsd, Apr 23, 2011
Ask a Question