Astronomers Spot Most Massive Galaxy Cluster Yet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

[​IMG]

A team of astronomers have detected a massive, sprawling and churning galaxy cluster that formed only 3.8 billion years after the Big Bang and is 1,000 times more massive than our Milky Way galaxy.

Located 10 billion light years from Earth and potentially comprising thousands of individual galaxies, the megastructure is about 250 trillion times more massive than the Sun.

The cluster, named "IDCS 1426", is the most massive cluster of galaxies yet discovered in the first four billion years after the Big Bang.

According to the team from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of Missouri, University of Florida and elsewhere, IDCS 1426 appears to be undergoing a substantial amount of upheaval.

The researchers observed a bright knot of X-rays, slightly off-center in the cluster, indicating that the cluster's core may have shifted some hundred thousand light years from its centre.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/science/news/astronomers-spot-most-massive-galaxy-cluster-yet-787158

Sefie, Jan 8, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

You always found amazing news story, and this is really impressive of the galaxy cluster! It is just amazing!

IcyBC, Jan 8, 2016
  3. Sefie

Sefie

Hehehe, before posting this I was a bit nervous, because astronomy is not everyone's cup of tea ;) But for me it is, I've felt so fascinated by it since I was a little girl :) I am glad you found this interesting!

Sefie, Jan 10, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. Sefie

PingPongCall

How could people not be interesting in something like this, it's so exciting thinking about whats out there. I wish we would all be alive in the day and age they interstellar travel becomes a reality.

PingPongCall, Jan 10, 2016
  5. Sefie

IcyBC

Astronomy and anything about science are not my favorite subjects, but they are still very fascinating to know and see. It is the mystery that gets to us, I suppose.

IcyBC, Jan 11, 2016
  6. Sefie

PingPongCall

I once read a writing prompt about space and it was something along the lines of earth finally making contact with life outside of our solar system through radio waves. The message that we get back is "Stop signaling, or you'll attract them". It was crazy and it's kind of the embodiment of a lot of the fear that people have about space.

PingPongCall, Jan 11, 2016
  7. Sefie

Sefie

That sounds interesting! Did you find it online, if so.... can you post the link here? I'd be very interested in reading that. Everything about space itself fascinates me, but I am not a big fan of the UFO theories (I doubt we have made contact with alien life yet or else we'd be in deep trouble) but when we do I think we will know for sure.

Sefie, Jan 13, 2016
  8. Sefie

PingPongCall

That would require a great deal of digging into Reddit. but if you go to the website and look up writing prompts, you will find all sorts of things of that nature.

PingPongCall, Jan 15, 2016
Ask a Question