AspireOne WiFi is Rubbish -DON'T BUY ONE -SPREAD THE WOR

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jjj, Dec 9, 2008.

1. jjj

jjj

I have a standard Linux model with 120 GB HDD and 1GB RAM.

I bought the thing about 6 weeks ago and could not return it until January, as I am on holiday. The WiFi worked OK on the couple of short tests I made before going on holiday.

What drivers should I download to improve WiFi reliability for a Linx machine?

jjj, Dec 13, 2008
  2. jjj

nucmanchh

As I navigate this forum I find Linx users of the AAO have far more probs than XP users

nucmanchh, Dec 14, 2008
  3. jjj

donec

If you pay close attention you will see the Linux users that are having problems are those that are trying to get more out of their machine. Most XP users want the machine to do just certain things and don't mess with it once they get it working this is not true of Linux users they are always trying to alter things which requires constant messing with things and questions on how to do this or that. In other words most Linux users aren't happy without a challenge or something to fix or make better. This is why it seems more people are having problems with Linux.

donec, Dec 14, 2008
  4. jjj

KillerStephen

Has to be one of the most elitist sounding posts I have ever read.

Gold star to you.

KillerStephen, Dec 14, 2008
  5. jjj

lohtse

I run XP on my machine and have to say that you linux users are not the only ones pushing/getting the most out their netbook..... You should see what I do with mine... Everything from 3d terrain generation to 3d cave surveying.... FULL satnav to java programing, gaming to photo/video editing... I have thrown everything I do on my main laptop at these little machines and still can't kill it.... Elitest hmmm does that mean I'm one too???!!! :D :lol: or just a GEEK!!!!!! :ugeek: :ugeek:

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 14, 2008
  6. jjj

jjj

Well I've only added Opera & Skype to my Linux machine. Neither of these should be responsible for screwing up the WiFi.

Perhaps we need separate threads for Linux & XP WiFi issues? Might be easier to get a clear picture then.

jjj, Dec 14, 2008
  7. jjj

daldred

jjj - I've only just noticed this thread - the subject title looks like it's just a rant so I'd ignored it.

You've asked where to get the updated BIOS - coincidentally there's a brand new one available today (see http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... -3309.html).

My wifi has been almost entirely 100% since I got my machine in August, so I don't think it's primarily a BIOS issue. Have you run all the Live Updates for the machine, so that all the software and drivers are up to date?

I say mine is almost 100% - there have been two networks where I haven't been able to acquire network addresses from routers; one is an apparently unsecured wireless network which show up on my list at home, but will not assign an IP address to either the One or to a Vista machine, though it will to a Mac and to an XP machine; no idea what's going on there (and I don't really want to know - all I really wanted to do was contact the guy to tell him to sort out some security as his files were accessible to the world). There's a also a D-Link router based router which doesn't seem to talk to the One; one or two otehr people have reported issues with DLink routers. All the others - my home network, friends, coffee shops, University, pubs etc - have connected without any issues and held a steady connection.

If yours is ropey, and all the update are installed, then I'd suspect a hardware problem (even as simple as the wireless adapter not properly conected internally) or that you've got a rogue setting somewhere; if you want to start troubleshooting, get a connection and then post the output (in a terminal) of the command 'iwconfig'.

daldred, Dec 14, 2008
  8. jjj

KillerStephen

Nope. I would just say you didnt quite understand why I called that post elitist speak. You just cemented my point that linux users arent the only ones who get the most out of their computers. Thank you.

9. jjj

donec

I guess I also don't understand why you called that post elitist speak. There is not a Linux geek out their that would consider me one of the group as I don't do what they do I just recognize the difference in the way most Windows users use their computers and how it differs from how Linux users use their computers. Is a gold star a good thing? :D

donec, Dec 14, 2008
  10. jjj

KillerStephen

My point is that its not that Linux users are trying to get more out of their machine than windows users. Its more that the large majority of programs and peripherals are designed for windows environments which leads to far less problems and ease of use. If all the people that got a linux version knew linux well, there wouldnt be these problems obviously. Suffice to say I think alot of people who dive in to linux get in a little over their heads. Thats not directed to any one person, just an overall thing for people new to linux.

The reason I call the post elitist is it reads, to me at least, that linux users are the only ones pushing their machines or trying to get extra functionality than windows users. Which is absurd. As I stated it has alot more to do with compatibility and familiarity with the OS youre working in. Im sure alot of problems would come up if it were the other way around. Linux being the standard and windows the one trying to break into the mainstream.

For the record, I like linux, I use Ubuntu on my home pc, so dont think Im trying to anti linux. I just speak from the experience of going through the linux learning curve myself. Also, a gold star is always a good thing.

11. jjj

lohtse

LOL was just having a little fun..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

lohtse, Dec 14, 2008
  12. jjj

donec

Before switching to Linux I was one of the people that was always doing things to my Windows system to make it more customized and work better. This had the added advantage of letting me learn enough to be a help to many others that had problems with Windows due to them getting in over their heads or not doing their house keeping. I was often called a Windows Geek. However I have a very long way to go to be a Linux Geek. So I know there are people out there that do push the envelope (so to speak) or tweaker users with Windows but they are not the average user. Instead they are the exception for the Windows world due to the large number of users that just use the system as it is making the number of tweaker users small by comparison. This is not true of the Linux crowd the number of tweaker users may in fact be larger than the number of users that just use it as is.

donec, Dec 14, 2008
  13. jjj

KillerStephen

That is basically all Im trying to say. In linux most things HAVE to be tweaked to be made to work due to the fact that its a largely a windows world. Not because they want to get more out of it, but because it requires tweaking alot of the time just to get things to even work. Mostly stemming from the fact that the majority of things are designed for windows. Linux has gotten much better on that front but to the new or average user there is a learning curve and thats where I believe the problems come from. Not that its a bad os, just a lack of linux understanding compared to the ease of use everyone has being mostly raised on windows.

14. jjj

daldred

Quite: if everyone is raised one way, any other way needs learning. Most people using Linux-based AAOs are probably using Linux for the first time (certainly using this version for the first time, since it's not the same as any other). Everyone using Windows based ones has probably used Windows at some point in their lives, as it's the thing which comes installed by default on most machines.

daldred, Dec 14, 2008
  15. jjj

nucmanchh

Amen! Again, I say amen.

nucmanchh, Dec 15, 2008
  16. jjj

nucmanchh

my other question is this: why are the "main-stream users" who are more familiar with a mainstream OS opting for an OS that is new to them and, generally speaking, lacks full compatibility in software, drivers, and etc?

nucmanchh, Dec 15, 2008
  17. jjj

donec

Well if your referring to the mainstream OS as Windows then I can only say that the reason I went for the new to me OS that at the time seemed to be lacking in compatibility is I got fed up with all the viruses and freezes I found in the main stream OS. I also got fed up with not having the right to move the OS to another computer if I wanted to since I bought it.

If you are referring to the Linux people that are trying to make Linpus do what they want instead of using a more robust and complete mainstream Linux, then I believe it is for the challenge.

donec, Dec 15, 2008
  18. jjj

KillerStephen

Since when can you not move an os to another computer? To be honest I wouldnt even buy an OS if I were you. Different morals of course though.

As for viruses and freezes. Viruses are almost always the fault of the user. Ive never had one, but my gf who doesnt know shit about computers has. Take from that what you will.
    And freezes... Personally doesnt happen, not on any of my windows machines. In fact Ive only ever had the bsod when OCing too high. All personal experience though which I understand means nothing.

I certainly dont see the logic in buying something looking to have limited functionality for a "challenge".

KillerStephen, Dec 15, 2008
  19. jjj

nucmanchh

ditto Killer!

Neither have I ever had a virus or spyware. My (adult) kids get them. And as Killer said, It's their own fault.

<blockquote>
    If you are referring to the Linux people that are trying to make Linpus do what they want instead of using a more robust and complete mainstream Linux, then I believe it is for the challenge.</blockquote>

Expect problems. Guys who purchase an AAO with an unfamiliar OS for "the challenge" will have problems. Thanks for the entertainment

nucmanchh, Dec 15, 2008
  20. jjj

Rich in ILM

Suggestion:

Start a new thread on Linux vs. XP. This thread is supposed to be why Acer WiFi is "rubbish". Which in IMHO it most definitley isn't!
    There are 4 pages here and the last page has been hijacked for the need of personal self vindication. Nobody cares!

Rich in ILM, Dec 15, 2008
Ask a Question