AspireOne WiFi is Rubbish -DON'T BUY ONE -SPREAD THE WOR

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jjj, Dec 9, 2008.

1. jjj

jjj

I'm experiencing the WiFi problems reported elsewhere & have noticed ACER apparently don't have a fix. :(

Well, let's spread the word on other forums & review boards so word gets around & Acer have to act.

A Netbook without a reliable internet connection is like a chocolate fireplace.

Maybe if word gets around, then ACER have to fix it.

jjj, Dec 9, 2008
  2. jjj

singraham

:D Actually, with no fanfare at all, they have fixed it. Recent bios upgrades (3305 and higher) and upgrading to the latest wifi drivers (currently at .170) completely cures the problem...or has for most people on this list. ;)

And, believe me, before the fix I was just as upset as you are. I wish I had a recording of my conversation with Acer customer support, when they refused to acknowledge the problem existed. It would make good comic relief someday in a real crisis.

singraham, Dec 9, 2008
  3. jjj

sinker442

No problems here! (XP, latest bios and drivers) ;)

sinker442, Dec 9, 2008
  4. jjj

MiniDrivr

Lots of users don't have any trouble. I have had ZERO wifi issues with mine using the drivers/bios that was shipped with it.

MiniDrivr, Dec 9, 2008
  5. jjj

dattaway

Sounds like you got a defect.

I really like mine. The Atheros wifi card in my Aspire is the most sensitive radio I've owned. Best range I've seen yet.

dattaway, Dec 9, 2008
  6. jjj

donec

I have to agree with both MiniDrivr and dattaway. I have had no trouble with my wireless and it is far more stable and sensitive than the other 3 laptops I have.

donec, Dec 9, 2008
  7. jjj

lohtse

No wifi problems here either(latest bios and drivers) infact would say is better than wifi on my £500 laptop.

just try updating your bios and drivers should solve the problems you are having as it has for many many others..

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 9, 2008
  8. jjj

FehHkk

Mi Wifi is perfect on my AAO. Maybe your router is rubbish.

FehHkk, Dec 9, 2008
  9. jjj

donec

On rethinking this thread it seems someone was just trying to get a rise out of the Linux users here at the forum and this thread should be closed.

donec, Dec 9, 2008
  10. jjj

Spyder

Before we close it, does anyone have a link to grab the new wifi drivers? I looked on the download site, but it just says something about 3g option. I don't think that's it.

Spyder, Dec 9, 2008
  11. jjj

jjj

I have been using about 20 different routers in the last few days & other people have been using them just fine.
    So it's not the router & it is my ACER.
    Where do I get the BIOS update & also, does it download & install easily? I'm on my travels, so I don't have aq backup PC for downloading stuff. And I do need the WiFi to work properly.

jjj, Dec 11, 2008
  12. jjj

jeffp_032056

Don't know what your talking about. I've got 6 of these and everyone works great, including the wireless. Perhaps you better check your configuration.

jeffp_032056, Dec 11, 2008
  13. jjj

tdavie

Win XP 1 gb/160gb, running hacked linksys wrt54g.

I can download on my AAO at over 1 megabyte per second and transfer to my iMac at about 9-12 megabyte per sec (byte not bit).

Zero problems here.

Tom

tdavie, Dec 12, 2008
  14. jjj

simbeb

Same for me...

simbeb, Dec 12, 2008
  15. jjj

jjj

Mine is quite good when it's working, but sometimes it just will not work at all -no matter how many times I switch it off & switch to a different connection. If it would work all the time, then I would be a satisfied customer. However, an intermittent connection is just not good enough.

jjj, Dec 12, 2008
  16. jjj

janss

Never had any problems with the wireless when using madwifi. I've even gotten wlan connection in places other people's machines found no connections.

Maybe the problem is either with your hardware or driver?

janss, Dec 12, 2008
  17. jjj

dattaway

Why don't you take it back to the store and exchange it or something. Most stores have a 7 or 30 replacement policy.

dattaway, Dec 12, 2008
  18. jjj

westonpf

Wifi in mine works fine, have had Linpus, XP, ubuntu and now Mandriva installed; once the correct drivers are installed it seems to pick up access points that even my MacBook Pro doesn't.

Make sure you check your drivers but if that still doesn't work then take it back, I had an Acer extensa where the wifi antenna was loose and only picked up networks when held in certain position.

westonpf, Dec 12, 2008
  19. jjj

Rich in ILM

I just updated the driver and not the bios. After years of built in, and before that, plug in WiFi adapters hands down this is the best WiFi for range and throughput I have ever experienced. But you do need the new drivers.

Rich in ILM, Dec 12, 2008
  20. jjj

donec

What OS are you running and do you have the hard drive version or the SSD version of AAO?

donec, Dec 12, 2008
Ask a Question