Aspire Won't Power On! Help?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jayteeo, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jayteeo

jayteeo

Hi Guys,

I was in the process of upgrading the RAM and decided to stop at the point where one would remove the keyboard plate. I reassembled everything and got it all back together, started up Windows and it seemed to go OK then suddenly powered off while my desktop was loading. Since then, I've not been able to get it to power on.

When I press the power button, the battery LED blinks 4 times (what does that mean?> cant find a code in the manual). When I try to power it on without the battery, no LEDs light up. I"m pretty certain I have the adapter connected properly and to a working outlet. What's going on?

jayteeo, Feb 3, 2009
  2. jayteeo

Jediphx

make sure something isnt crimped or maybe you have metal touching causing a short?

Jediphx, Feb 4, 2009
  3. jayteeo

bjlockie

Ya, sounds like a short except does it work WITH the battery?
    If so then I would guess the AC adapter is faulty.
    I would ask Acer what 4 lights mean.

bjlockie, Feb 5, 2009
  4. jayteeo

firefox111

i had a problem like this but i had not taken my aspire one it got to windows login but the power died turned out that my battery was not seated properly on the connectors - just a thought could be something as simple as that

firefox111, Feb 5, 2009
  5. jayteeo

sevensilly

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'm not sure what it was but I ended up sending it back for an RMA.

sevensilly, Feb 6, 2009
  6. jayteeo

scorpio

This works...

Acer Aspire One BIOS Recovery
    The AA1 has a built-in BIOS recovery routine, making it possible to flash the BIOS even if the system doesn't boot anymore. It's only meant for emergencies and may void your warranty, so use at your own risk.

Follow every step carefully!

First format an USB stick with FAT.

Download the latest BIOS, and put both FLASHIT.EXE and the BIOS file in the root directory of the stick. Rename the BIOS file to ZG5IA32.FD, that's important. Do not remove the USB stick.

Turn the AA1 off, make sure both battery and AC adapter are connected. Press Fn+Esc, keep it pressed and press the power button to turn the AA1 on. Release Fn+Esc after a few seconds, the power button will be blinking. Press the power button once. The AA1 will now initiate the BIOS flash, do not interrupt it under any circumstances. After a while the power button will stop blinking, and the AA1 will reboot shortly after. Wait patiently.

The BIOS has been flashed and all settings reset to default.

If for some reason you made a mistake during the procedure and it doesn't reboot by itself wait 5 minutes before turning it off, just to be safe that it isn't still flashing the BIOS.

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html

scorpio, Feb 6, 2009
  7. jayteeo

elizabethamb

Hi

My system won't boot, stops at the "Apsire One" page. I have read this advice on other forums and have been encouraged by the number of people for whom it works but I am completely new to Linux and your instructions might as well be in Greek to me. My Apsire One is running Linux Lite (although this is irrelevant as I can't even boot it).

Is there an idiot's solution please? I cannot believe I am the only one who doesn't understand these instructions or is Linux only for techies? If so I am beginning to regret buying this machine and wishing I'd gone for a more conventional system.

Help please!

elizabethamb, Feb 8, 2009
  8. jayteeo

elizabethamb

Hi again

Follow up to above... Like other people, I left my AA1 pluged in for a while and it eventually booted itself up. The battery was showing 39% charged so that may have been the problem. I was certain I had turned the machine off but i obviously need to be more careful in future. I will also make sure I have all my backup procedures in place in future.

Thanks to everyone for submitting their experiences, this really helps!
    :)

elizabethamb, Feb 9, 2009
  9. jayteeo

radical1

IT WORKS!!! Thanx so much!
    I do have a problem though.
    I had a password for the previous bios and now it doesn't seem to accept it!!!! :?
    it was very small and only numbers so the caps lock thing I read about here is not the problem.
    Is there anything I can do? cause I can't get in the bios now

PLEASE HELP

radical1, Feb 14, 2009
Ask a Question