Aspire One with newer Intel X3100 graphics

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by TapouT, Sep 18, 2008.

1. TapouT

TapouT

The new model of Aspire One with the 160GB HD and 6 cell battery is listed on Acer's website as having the newer Intel graphics media accelerator X3100 http://us.acer.com/public/page9.do?...=en&ctx3=-1&ctx4=United+States&crc=1846489241 rather than the older GMA950 as every retailers site lists. I have called Acer several different numbers as well as the As[ire One tech. line and I have been shuffled person to person and not a single one could tell me the answer, which is it? The last response I was able to obtain was the newer version might have the newer graphics or some of them might have it and some might have the older, it could be hit or miss which you get as motherboards with each were available. I would like to know for sure. I would have ordered one but could not find anything out, it is bad when the manufacturer of a product can NOT tell you what is in their product nor point you where to find out!

Most people will say GMA950 because all the retailer sites say that, but Acer doesn't, well at least not on the detailed specs page on other pages they say the older chipset.

TapouT, Sep 18, 2008
  2. TapouT

macles

X3100 is part of Intel G965 which doesn't work with Intel Atom, and consumes about 3x as many Watt as the 945GSE anyway.

macles, Sep 18, 2008
  3. TapouT

TapouT

Dang I wanted the X3100 so I could play COD4 on my Aspire One. :lol:

Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure the one tech from acer wasn't correct in saying you might be able to end up with one or the other and I get one that isn't as good as another version floating around.

TapouT, Sep 19, 2008
  4. TapouT

DiSK

That's very strange...

It still says the 945GSE chipset though. And I really doubt they would put X3100 graphics in...Sorry to say.

On the bright side, desktops are really cheap nowadays. :D Maybe you could upgrade your existing one?

DiSK, Sep 19, 2008
  5. TapouT

TapouT

I was joking about COD4 on the Aspire One I don't even play that game. I just built a desktop anyway , its what Im typing this on (just haven't decided on video card yet).

See I was tired of my laptop being bulky and still no graphics power, so I built this desktop and then sold my 15.4" screen HP Pavillion DV6000 Core2Dou T7200 laptop and now want a netbook to use occasionally for several purposes because its portable. The only games I would play on the netbook would be something like Bejeweled 2 Deluxe or other basic games just to kill time if I was bored and had it with me.

The X3100 is still a low class solution but I would have preferred it as long as the power usage didn't spike too much as mentioned earlier.

TapouT, Sep 19, 2008
  6. TapouT

tgbuzzard

I have noticed that the x3100 is only listed on the north american (us canada) sites. I was begining to wonder if I was the only one that noticed that.

tgbuzzard, Sep 19, 2008
  7. TapouT

TapouT

Well I will know soon. I just ordered the Onyx Black one and am told they have already been shipped from Acer for sure and should be in on Monday, then it should ship to me by Tuesday to arrive by Thursday if all goes well. I guess the Black version was sent out already to some places and the Blue or white hasn't yet. The brown is unknown when it will ship I guess.

TapouT, Sep 19, 2008
  8. TapouT

onlineaddy

Where are you located? Whom did you order from? I've got a pre-order with J&R. Amazon.com doesn't even allow pre-orders for the Onyx Black.

onlineaddy, Sep 19, 2008
  9. TapouT

onlineaddy

Let me venture a guess: CDW?

onlineaddy, Sep 20, 2008
  10. TapouT

TapouT

Yep CDW. You order one there also? I was going to get the Blue a week ago but they were back-ordered past the first couple shipment dates, I seen on here somewhere the Black one wasn't back ordered as bad. I called today and they said they were already in transit from Acer to arrive most likely Monday and ship out to customers Tuesday. I am number 85 or 86 I think on the list and 200 total will arrive in first shipment (150 to one place and 50 to another location). I will keep my fingers crossed that all goes well. You never know Acer could send less than retailers are supposed to get to each one and some people have to wait for another shipment. At least these are in transit to CDW though.

I called Amazon.com over a week ago and they said they didnt know for sure when they would arrive, had no idea how many were coming in and had no way of knowing how many people were on the back-order list. It sounded like I was speaking to an very un-informed person at a foreign call center. CDW had all the right information, was friendly and easy to deal with. They said they have very good tracking of their shipments and products unlike many other retailers. They said that many retailers are happy to let you place an order no matter how many they will actually get and then just leave you waiting with no idea of when you will get your item.

If anyone orders from CDW, pick the UPS ground option. It was like $5 more for me over the DHL notebook shipping option, but DHL is not as reliable on time frames and the notebook shipment option they have is even slower.

TapouT, Sep 20, 2008
  11. TapouT

TapouT

TapouT, Sep 20, 2008
  12. TapouT

TapouT

Since placing my order yesterday I noticed on CDW's website the Onyx Black one has changed from will ship in 5 days, to will ship in 4 days and then changed again today to Orders placed today will ship in 1-3 days.

TapouT, Sep 20, 2008
  13. TapouT

TapouT

Acer just called me and said that what I am seeing is probably wrong info for the US site and must have been carried over from the Europe site because they try everything out on their market first, so they may or may not have Aspire One untis with X3100 chipsets in Europe, but not in the US yet.

CDW has said time and time again they are on there way even told me that again today, not my order on their sites has changed the ship date to Oct., grrrr. And they said this model already had left Acer and was in transit to them. Someone lied or was misinformed somewhere.

If CDW doesn't ship mine out when they say, I might cancel and seek out this version if it does exist in Europe.

TapouT, Sep 22, 2008
  14. TapouT

Den Harrow

Sorry to disappoint anyone, but I've been using my black 6-cell/160gb/XP AAO since last week (Canadian version) and can confirm it has the Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset.

Den Harrow, Sep 23, 2008
  15. TapouT

gregj777

I don't know what COD4 is, but I use the AAO to log on to Second Life, and I get very decent graphics and frame rates with the GMA950 that is on my 120GB HD machine. Second Life is pretty graphics-demanding.

gregj777, Sep 23, 2008
  16. TapouT

TapouT

I said I was joking anyway because I don't even play that game COD 4 = Call of Duty 4.

I already said Acer told me the US version doesn't have the X3100 it has the old GMA 950. Canadian would be the same. They said Europe is the only place it would be right now. (if it is even out yet. Same as the 3G high speed cellular internet, Europe gets it first.)

TapouT, Sep 23, 2008
  17. TapouT

Den Harrow

Since everything is in 3 languages - English, French and Dutch, it does seems to indicate this particular version might be similar to the one sold in Belgium and/or the Netherlands (sans NA power cord). So I wouldn't get my hopes up that the European version is any different as far as graphics is concerned. But let's wait and see. I may just have to pick up another One on my travels to Holland...

Den Harrow, Sep 23, 2008
  18. TapouT

Jazzle

Well I'm from Holland and bought mine 2 weeks ago and it has the gma 950. I don't think there will be any AOA with a x3100 soon.
    They would have to use an other chipset (which uses way more power by the way), and I don't think they change chipsets without giving the AOA a whole other model number.

Jazzle, Sep 23, 2008
  19. TapouT

TapouT

I'm just reporting what Acer called me and said. If anyone ever comes across anything different I would sure like to know. Maybe it was just an error or future plans who knows. They said they investigated it and came to the conclusion that what i was seeing on the site was carried over the the European site because they get everything first.

TapouT, Sep 23, 2008
Ask a Question