Aspire One wireless problems.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blackflag, Oct 31, 2008.

1. blackflag

blackflag

So I'm really looking for netbook...interested in the Aspire One... but I'm concerned about the ongoing wireless problems. I know people have been working on it, and new drivers keep coming out.

Are these problems fixed yet? Or are they still out there? I don't want to get something that's going to frustrate me, or that I can't use the wireless on.

Thanks.

blackflag, Oct 31, 2008
  2. blackflag

Tamrac

Can you state what wireless problem you are talking about? The Aspire One does not have a wireless problem. I've had it on XP and Mandriva Linux as well as the original Linpus.... and all have no problems with the wifi.

Tamrac, Oct 31, 2008
  3. blackflag

blackflag

All over the internet people are talking about 1) the system dropping a signal, then having to reboot to get the signal back and 2) not being able to pick up signals that people normally would with another laptop. I mean...I'm not spreading crap, I'm just telling you what I heard and trying to find out if these are still legitimate concerns.

See, e.g., viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1477
    "WLAN / WIFI Card Issues"

blackflag, Oct 31, 2008
  4. blackflag

Tamrac

I didnt say you were spreading crap. I was asking what particular Wifi problem.... It was from the earlier A110 SSD versions with the older BIOS. The dropped signal was only due to a bug in the wifi power saving routine. Easily fixed via a BIOS update. Or by setting the wifi powersaving to NORMAL or OFF in Windows XP. And this is not on all the units. As mine never exhibited any issue, and so as many other A110s. Cheers.

Tamrac, Oct 31, 2008
  5. blackflag

blackflag

Interesting... So if I get a new unit with XP now, and make sure it has updated drivers and bios... I shouldn't have any problems with the wireless? :ugeek:

blackflag, Oct 31, 2008
  6. blackflag

singraham

I have the 150 model, and yes, mine had the wifi drop-out, missing wifi adapter problem out of the box. It required updating to the latest, still unofficial as far as Acer goes, wifi driver (7.6.1.149) and flashing the bios to 3305 to make it stable. I have been almost 48 hours now without a drop out.

singraham, Oct 31, 2008
  7. blackflag

onlineaddy

I've got the 3305 BIOS and latest Atheros driver for XP. No problem on XP. However, in Linpus (I dual boot), I lose my wireless signal every so often. Sometimes it comes back on its own; other times I have to manually disconnect and re-connect to get it back. The problem is easily discernable when downloading large torrent files.

onlineaddy, Oct 31, 2008
  8. blackflag

Guest Guest

I also had issues with the wireless connection dropping out in XP and Vista. My solution was to change out the atheros adapter for an Intel 4965AGN. Mail ordered it for 30 dollars. No problems with it in the week I've had it.

Guest, Nov 1, 2008
  9. blackflag

gefrank

I just purchased the AOA150 model and had this WiFi dropping problem. I would connect to my home network and then in 5 to 12 minutes the connection would be lost. I called tech support and they had me turn off power saver and remove the connection and reinstall it. That did not fix the problem. They told me to take it back to where I bought it and tell them it was dead on arrival and exchange it for a new one. I did that (Micro Center) and the new unit works great out of the box. It is still in power saver mode. If your unit does not work it is defective and will be replaced under warranty. If the store you bought from won't exchange it Acer will by mail. Aspire One Support is at 866-695-2237. ;)

gefrank, Nov 4, 2008
  10. blackflag

toymom

I just got mine and am having that exact prooblem, thanks for the number,I am going to call them.

toymom, Nov 5, 2008
Ask a Question